OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager (20168 Views)
Intern
Sardukkan
Message 61 of 106 (607 Views)

Re: OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager

[ Edited ]

To answer one of your questions SnarfledGarthok, Windows 8 has a different form of Windows Key's that any other OS MS has ever made.  It's ties to and in the BIOS!  If you swap out MoBo's  becasue of failure, they send a brand new Win 8 key with it on paper.  Which is the only way you ever see the key.

As far as the CD's go, almost all of the manufactures now put the burden of creating the recovery disks user.  Which is a one time only deal, after you create them you can't create any others for that system.  Also take into account it's not only the OS but all the other applications and shovelware that was shipped with the system orginaly.

So if you never created the disks and your drive dies, order the disks.

You never create the disks and the OS corrupts, order the disks.

You created the disks and lost or damaged them, order the disks.

You create the disks, you know where they are, reinstall and good to go.

One thing I don't remember, does the $27 include shipping?

Honor Student
mdactivist
Message 62 of 106 (566 Views)

I bought my 1st HP on 6/28/13. After having a compaq for many years i then bought a gateway and had that pc for 12 years with hardly any issues except for memory updates and minor issues. This hp has been nothing but problems. Paid for Geek support and had hp support. Neither has been able to resolve the many issues my pc has. Slow pc, blinking pages, unable to listen to radio or video unless its choppy. Black x on many pages. I've spent many hours with your hp support and each time they do the same thing while i have my phone at my ear. Its terrible. They keep leaving and coming back and i'm suppose to hold on for hours. They've did a recovery twice and run tests and still a flop. IE not responding issues. they've reset my IE several times. Has a start button on my tool bar that don't work. too many issues hp. I will be contacting Better business bureau and other agency's reporting. The last tech support wanted to pick my pc up for 2 weeks and charge me shipping etc.

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 63 of 106 (558 Views)

Sounds like you could have issues with the system.

Do you have the service records and possibly the calls logged?   If not try nad come up with a simple timeline of issues and the amount of time you've spent on it.  Support should be able to pull logs of support calls made on your S/N.

Call in and request to speak directly to a supervisor.  Be prepared to wait.  Ask them to pull the call logs for your system <If Possible> then ask to have your issue escalated to tier 2.

Some stuff you can do yourself, Diag tips from TomsHardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1652265/software-diagnostics-maintenance.html#

A few questions

Desktop / laptop?

Does it feel overly warm anywhere?

If it's a desktop can air circulate around it?

etc.

Top Student
EddieGonza
Message 64 of 106 (527 Views)

I have a used HP Compaq dc 7700 Small Form Factor, I wanted to do a complete system restore, I don't have the restore cd's and I tried to use the f10 to use the recovery partition, it wasn't there, is there such a program I can download so I can gain the recovery program so I can perform a factory restore? can someone help me?

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 65 of 106 (519 Views)

Wow that's an old system.

The restore CD/DVDs should be available from HP Parts where you are at. 1-800-952-7689 in the US. You need the OS that Was on it, Your unit number (like Sb700ab) an the serial number.

Also just for the heck of it try F11 at startup.

The Restore disks are pretty inexpensive.

Top Student
EddieGonza
Message 66 of 106 (509 Views)

Thank you, i'll give it a shot , I appreciate it !

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 67 of 106 (490 Views)

Good Luck!  Hope it goes well!

Crossing fingers!

Honor Student
femsawyer1
Message 68 of 106 (463 Views)

My mother has a Compaq Presario SR5450F that has been giving her lots of problems lately.  Wouldn't shut down properly, slowed way down, constantly getting Not Responding on basically anything she tried to do.

Anyway, we decided to do a factory reset.  

I followed the instructions in your link but it took several hours (4-5) for it to actually copy the files over.  Continued with Windows setup and of course it wanted to install the tons of Windows Updates.  However, most of them fail - and the system is still slowed to a crawl.  If you click on anything too quick, it goes to not responding.  

After 2 days of trying to get the windows updates installed, I've opted to try the factory reset again - hoping that maybe it was just something went wrong in the first one.  However, it's taking hours once again to copy over the files.  It's been running for about 1-1/2 hours and is at 31% - estimating 195 minutes until it's complete.  That just doesn't seem right.  Especially since in the screenshot in the instrucitons, it shows that it's only 45% complete and expected to finish in 5 minutes.

Can someone please help me figure out what's wrong?  I'm hoping to salvage this computer for her because she's on a very limited income (min. wage) and can't afford a new computer anytime soon.

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 69 of 106 (432 Views)

Hmmm Sounds like it might have something else wrong with it.

http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads

Link to Drive Fitness test.

One the system is bootable again, dl this and run it...

Here's another link to a top 5 testing tools page.

http://lifehacker.com/5551188/best-computer-diagnostic-tools

Hiren's Boot CD / DVD

I use Hiren's fro it's "Swiss Army Knife" Approach, system test, windows pw stripper, etc....

Honor Student
femsawyer1
Message 70 of 106 (403 Views)

Thanks for the response. Turns out there was an issue with the hard drive within the recovery portion. Unfortunately, hp no longer sells the recovery disks for this system.
Had the Windows 7 upgrade disk that I had purchased to install on a new drive and luckily, I had an old XP disk lying around for the previous version needed for an upgrade.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation