OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager (23180 Views)
Intern
Sardukkan
Message 71 of 115 (706 Views)

Re: OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager

Lucky you then.  Win 7 does a great job of finding most drivers for most of the bits inside the box.

On the brighter side.  It's a REAL clean install.  No Shovel-ware.

Honor Student
Spider-Webster
Message 72 of 115 (666 Views)

I have just bought new HP pc and thought I would test to see if I could recover if I had a failure.

I made a repair disk to DVD and a recover disk onto a usb (around12gb)

I powered off and swopped cables onto a new hard disk, altered the boot to my usb and followed to recover to new hard disk. Once the recovery manager opens it gives option to system recover but it is greyed out and the only option is to click finish where it re boots? The usb looks ok and it only gave me the option to create it once, the hard disk looks ok Ive also tried another one with same result. The hard disk is only 74gb but would thought this would be ok?

Any help thank you 

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 73 of 115 (639 Views)

Hey Spider-Webster,

I understand you are not able to boot from a USB. What happens when you try and boot from just the Recovery Manager?

You might be able to pick up the things on USB after that.

Here is a document on different things to do.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867418&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Spider-Webster
Message 74 of 115 (625 Views)

Apologies it must be how I wrote my problem. I can boot onto USB it has a green light on it and it flashes when reading and booting. When I follow the software to recovery manager the options are just greyed out and I have no option to do anything other than re boot.

My idea was to know that I would be safe if I lost my hard drive so I have booted from USB and DVD and both dont work.

I have also noted now that when I open HP Support Assistant that it no longer shows up my product name serial at the bottom any more, and if I click My Computer Access online resources for your PC this no longer takes me to the model page?

Not sure on how to boot from just the recovery manager?

I have loaded the recovery manager from within windows and it asks for User account control, I click yes and then nothing more happens the recovery manager doesnt load.

It looks like I may have to do an image backup and use this if I ever need to. I didnt particularly want to do this as it takes up 250gb

Intern
help88
Message 75 of 115 (619 Views)

Just want to make sure I understand correctly, this is the scenario:

- you created the Recovery USB using Recovery Manager

- You changed the original hard disk to another hard disk that does not have the same capacity as the original hard disk...

Can you please confirm?  Also, can you please let me know what is the size of the original HD and the new HD? 

Thanks.

I work for HP but do not speak for HP
Honor Student
Spider-Webster
Message 76 of 115 (608 Views)

Yes I created recovery USB which shows 17.1gb free of 28.9 so its filled about 11.9gb it seems to be ok it had no errors when created and has Boot folder efi and sources folder with 3 files in root bootmgr bootmgr.efi and reagent.txt.

I wanted to see if I could recover if my hard disk failed and so swopped the WD 1tb for a Wd raptor 74gb

Honor Student
Spider-Webster
Message 77 of 115 (594 Views)

I just found out you can only recover to a drive that is the same size or larger than the one the system image was created from. Think this will be my problem with the recovery too.

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 78 of 115 (580 Views)

Hi Spider-Webster,

Sorry this is an inconvenience. 

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Teacher
tvccs
Message 79 of 115 (450 Views)

I recently purchased an HP Envy H8-1534.  I want to create a set of recovery discs using the HP Recovery Disc Creator.  After receiving the computer I replaced the OEM DVD-RW drive with a BD/DVD-RW drive (which works just fine otherwise).  When I go to create the discs the HP software tells me my system doen't have a burning drive present (I actually have a second BD-RE drive as well).  Is there a way to convince to software my system has a burner in it?  Thank you.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 80 of 115 (445 Views)

[ Edited ]

HI TVCCS,

Recheck the SATA data cables and power cables going to both optical drives.

With Windows 8 you can use the built in troubleshooter and see what it detects and corrects. At the Start screen type in Troubleshooting then select troubleshooting and next hardware.

This posted HP article for your PC may also be helpful.

Review this posted article for optical drives issues.  A lot of the tips are for operating systems other than Windows 8. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation