Question

Teacher
filgrastin
Message 1 of 6 (16,354 Views)

POP-UP OCCURRING IN RIGHT HAND CORNER OF COMPUTER

I am having a problem with a pop-up occurring on the bottom right side of the page although I have blocked pop-ups.  Here is my problem - Whenever I go to a web page or even to place an order, the bottom right side of the document pops up.  For example, when I went to a website to order perfume, this pop up occurred giving me an option to order a fake perfume at a cheaper rate.  When I came to this website, as soon as I typed "forum" a pop up occurred offering me some type of forum recon boots.   I went to Amazon to order an electric knife and this popup occurred offering me "cheap electric knives."  I have both Trend MicroVirus and MacAfee security systems on my computer.  How can I get rid of this nuisance?  Thanks.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (16,333 Views)

Re: POP-UP OCCURRING IN RIGHT HAND CORNER OF COMPUTER

Hi,

filgrastin wrote:

I am having a problem with a pop-up occurring on the bottom right side of the page although I have blocked pop-ups.  Here is my problem - Whenever I go to a web page or even to place an order, the bottom right side of the document pops up.  For example, when I went to a website to order perfume, this pop up occurred giving me an option to order a fake perfume at a cheaper rate.  When I came to this website, as soon as I typed "forum" a pop up occurred offering me some type of forum recon boots.   I went to Amazon to order an electric knife and this popup occurred offering me "cheap electric knives."  I have both Trend MicroVirus and MacAfee security systems on my computer.  How can I get rid of this nuisance?  Thanks.

For an  internet security suite to work properly only one can be installed at a time. If two are installed then, generally speaking, both programs compete for the same memory locations.  Two products are not better than one in this case. :smileywink:

Which browser are you using in which the pop-ups happen?

If Internet Explorer, then try Firefox or Google Chrome at the offending website to see if it still happens.

best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 3 of 6 (16,312 Views)

Hi, 

For sure, your is infected with Fake Security Application that nag you to purchase it to free your System from malicious files. 

Dont buy it, you may try following Fake Removal tools.

Download and Run Fake Virus Removal tool to find and delete malicious Security Applications off the PC
Click 'Softpedia Secure Download (US) [EXE]', and click Run.  Click Yes to start remove Virus.
The following Tool will also delete the Fake Software.
A Good AntiSptware, install it, launch it, and perform Complete System Scan.

Download and Run Fake Virus Removal tool to find and delete malicious Security Applications off the PChttp://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Remove-Fake-Antivirus-Download-127588.html
Click 'Softpedia Secure Download (US) [EXE]', and click Run.  Click Yes to start remove Virus.

The following Tool will also delete the Fake Software.http://download.eset.com/special/ERACleaner.exe
A Good AntiSptware, install it, launch it, and perform Complete System Scan.http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe

Good Luck, 

Kiran Talluri

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (16,305 Views)

Don't download those suggestions made by the other poster.  Go to the Mcafee website and look for utilities there. At least Mcafee is reputable. Softpedia is not.

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
Bugbatter
Message 5 of 6 (16,278 Views)

[ Edited ]

filgrastin,

As mentioned above, two security suites are not better than one.

McAfee's utilities aren't going to be much better than its security that you are already running.

I would suggest starting with RKill and following that with MBAM (mentioned by Kiran Tallui above)

1. Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.

Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log. Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you. Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

• Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again.

2. Now you should download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or MBAM, from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

alternate download link
    Or you could use the Bleeping Computer link mentioned above.

3. Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including this one.

4. Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe. This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.

5. When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing and is at the last screen, make sure you uncheck both of the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware check boxes. Then click on the Finish button. If Malwarebytes' prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.

6. As this infection deletes a core executable of Malwarebytes' we will need to download a new copy of it and put it in the C:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder. To download the file please click on the following link:
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

When your browser prompts you where to save it to, please save it to the C:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder. When downloading the file, it will have a random filename. Please leave the filename the way it is as it is important that it is not changed. You may want to write down the name of the file as you will need to know the name in the next step.

7. Once the file has been downloaded, open the C:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder and double-click on the file you downloaded. MBAM will now start and you will be at the main program screen.

8. Before you can perform a scan, you must first update the program. To do this click on the Update tab, and that at the new screen click on the Check for Updates button. Malwarebytes' will now check for new updates and download and install them as necessary. When the update is completed, you will be prompted with a message stating either that you already have the latest updates or that they have been updated. Either way, you should now click on the OK button to continue.

9. Now click on the Scanner tab and make sure the the Perform full scan option is selected. Then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for Security Tool related files.

10. MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can take quite a while, so we suggest you go and do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan.
    When the scan is finished a message box will appear.

11. You should click on the OK button to close the message box and continue with the malware removal removal process.

12. You will now be back at the main Scanner screen. At this point you should click on the Show Results button.

13. A screen displaying all the malware that the program found will be shown.

14. When MBAM has finished removing the malware, it will open the scan log and display it in Notepad. Review the log as desired, and then close the Notepad window.

15. You can now exit the MBAM program.

* Due to the fact that this infection deletes certain MalwareBytes' files, and we had to work around this, if you wish to continue using MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, which we suggest you do, then you should uninstall and then install it again so that the files are created properly.

That might fix your problem, although if you continue to have problems you may need to run additional tools as well, so please post back here if you still need help.

Microsoft MVP / Consumer Security

Member of Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

SpywareHammer

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 6 (16,256 Views)

You may be infected

Follow the order given below to properly disinfect your PC

1.) Make a boot AV disc then boot from the disc and scan the hard drive, remove any infections it finds, I prefer the Kaspersky disc myself. The New 2010 Kaspersky disc can update the AV dat files if you are connected to the internet at the time of scan and is suggested to update before the scan.

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

2.) Then:
Install free MBAM, run the program and go to the Update tab and update it, then go to the Scanner Tab and do a quick scan, select and remove anything it finds.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

3.) When MBAM is done install SAS free version, run a quick scan, remove what it automatically selects.
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

These last 2 are not AV softwares like Norton, they are on demand scanners that only scan for nasties when you run the program and will not interfere with your installed AV, these can be run once a day or week to ensure you are not infected. Be sure you update them before each daily-weekly scan.\

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation