Question

Honor Student
TwoHPsBroken
Message 1 of 5 (690 Views)

Pavilion Media Center m8100n won't start up

After owning what was in 2007 an $800+ desktop for less than five years, this m8100n will not start up. Months of blue screen crashes (about once per 3-4 days) and freezes have now transpired into a machine that will not start up. The monitor is black, the monitor's power button is orange instead of blue, even though power is on and computer is running.

It makes one short beep sound, followed by a long beep sound. After a few seconds, it repeats the beep sounds.

This has Windows Vista, version 2.

Most recently, I has out of town for a few days, so I unplugged it. When I returned, the above-mentioned problem occurred and is ongoing. ... I was out of town for two weeks in December, but left it plugged in, but when I returned I had multiple blue-screen crash problems that I hadn't had previously. So, apparently, you can't leave this product unused for a lengthy period of time. These are some of the messages I have received during crashes:

Bad pool header   BOOTMGR image is corrupt

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT  REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

Driver IRQL Not less or equal

As a novice, I have no idea what these messages mean and HP is no help, whatsoever, after the first year. My HP laptop, which cost around $600 in 2007, also does not work. So, why continue buying HPs?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 5 (685 Views)

Re: Pavilion Media Center m8100n won't start up

[ Edited ]

THPB, welcome to the forum.

The problem with computers or any electronics, for that matter, is that they develop heat. Heat is their enemy. It causes component failures. A thorough cleaning, at the very least once per year, is the best way to keep heat at a minimum. I believe that your problem is memory failure. This is denoted by the beeps that you are receiving.

Here is a guide to HP BIOS beep codes:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bph07107

The one short and one long beep is shown as memory problem.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 5 (672 Views)

Thank you for the memory problem suggestion and beep codes page. When I left town, the computer was working fine. I shut it down and unplugged it. Four days later, I returned, plugged it in, turned it on, but it would not start up and the display remained black. How does a memory problem manifest itself to the point of not working during a four-day period when it's unplugged in a room that is not hot?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 5 (666 Views)

THPB, it is my pleasure.

If I could answer that question, I would be in the money.  The only explanation that I can offer is that it was ready to fail and when powered on, the power surge required to boot pushed it over the edge.  Memory works extremely hard.

I had a similar experience several years ago.  My computer was working perfectly when I turned it off, as I normally do at night.  In the morning it wouldn't boot.  I ran every test imaginable and discovered that I had a failed power supply unit (PSU).  Why did it pick that time to fail?  I don't have a clue.  I guess because it was 3 years old and this is the average age for PSU failure.

I suggest pulling the memory and replacing it one stick at a time to see if the computer boots.  If not, you found the culprit.  If none of them creates a boot failure, we will have to try something else.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 5 of 5 (652 Views)

Thanks, but how do I pull memory?

More than $800 for four and a half years' worth of desktop use? I should have just kept using the computers at the library, had I known that. Plus, my HP laptop has not shown an image on the screen for a few months, too. It just keeps recycling from boot up, to start over and try it again. The laptop was around $500 in the summer of 2007.

But yeah, I'll try pulling memory once I understand what that involves.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation