Question

Tutor
NVGeo
Message 1 of 6 (198 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavilion p7 1235 HP Recovery Manager removal

Pavilion p7 1235 Windows 7: I would like to uninstall the HP Recovery Manager and use the hard disk partition D for my data; however, the HP Recovery Manager does not appear in the Control Panel "remove programs" list.  How can I remove it and preserve the D partition?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (188 Views)

Re: Pavilion p7 1235 HP Recovery Manager removal

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You can do this manually as follows.

Note:

As doing this will remove the ability to reinstall Windows 7 from this partition, first make sure you have your set of Recovery Discs in case you ever need to reinstall the operating system - also, be aware that if you use these discs to reinstall the OS, they will re-create all the original partitions on the Hard Drive so any custom partitions and the data in them will be lost.  This being the case, make sure to back-up the data you're intending to store in the D partition to an external device/media before running a Recovery.

To format the D partition.

Hold down the Windows Key and press R.  Into the Run Box type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.  Click Disk Management in the left pane and let the drives load up.  Right click on the D Partition and select Format to start the Wizard.  Windows 7 will assign a Volume Label so if your happy with this, just leave the default one which should still be D.  As the D Partition will have had a FAT File system, it's probably best to change this to NTFS.  Allocation Unit Size should be left as the default value.  Select the option to perform a Quick Format if it is not already selected.  Leave any other settings as default and click Ok and Ok again to start the process. 

When this has completed, close Disk Management and you should see the empty D Partition available when you look under Computer.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
NVGeo
Message 3 of 6 (180 Views)

Thanks for your prompt answer, but how about the residual HP Recovery Manager software that would be left cluttering up my Registry, etc.?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 6 (176 Views)

Hi,

If you are not able to uninstall the software in the usual way from Programs and Features, you could try a third party uninstaller such as the application detailed below.

Download and install the free version of Revo Uninstaller from the link below.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-freeware-version.php

Run revo and see if this detects the Recovery Manager software. If it does, right click on the icon of this program and select Uninstall. During the process you may be asked to delete registry entries, just select all and then click delete. Do the same for any left-over files and folders. Once the uninstall has completed, restart the PC.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
NVGeo
Message 5 of 6 (158 Views)

In order to use the D: partition for my data, I have made HP recovery discs and then reformated the D: partition.  When I view it using Windows Explorer all appears well: I have an empty partition.  Then I tried to create a Windows System Image that would not include D: partition; however,  Windows still considers the empty D: partition as a "System" partition and will not let me skip it for the image.  This defeats my whole purpose.  How can I remove the D: partition from the "System" designation so I can image C: only?  Thanks for any suggestions.

Tutor
sparky1
Message 6 of 6 (94 Views)

you call your self an expert with hp computers and software.

hp hates it wen people change there software or remove hp software .

hp needs to get over them selfs and look at the facts.

the fact is wen we buy a computer or laptop from any company we want to set it up for what we want.

NOT what hp or any other company thinks it should be.

hp likes to use every bit of space on a hard drive so we have no room to set up a partition with out removing one they made.

now its harder to remove hp recovery manager from there software.

hp is a good computer but ther software or os sucks.

i have 3 hp computers and after removing recovery manager all 3 crashed and i had to reinstall windows.

thank you for all you are doing to help but like i said hp needs to get over them selfs and give the people what they want.

not what hp thinks they need.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation