Question

Honor Student
toolkeeper
Message 1 of 5 (666 Views)
Accepted Solution

Presario SR5710F Needs HP/Compaq BIOS flashed.

I have a Presario SR5710F that I am attempting to restore to factory specifications.  The original hard drive failed so that I do not have access to the original Win Vista 32 bit OS.   The SR5710F show the following information:

core version:  V6.0

BIOS Revision:  5.27  6-10-2008

Model Number:  ALONPAV

Product Number:  D5468AT-ABA

Build ID.:          (blank or empty field)

A search of the BIOS update for this machine is in an executable named: sp40911.exe.  This file is listed as version 5.27 dated 2008-12-04.

Clearly, what is on the system is at variance with what the support page says that should be there.

Is there a method to flashing this HP/Compaq BIOS without booting into windows vista?

If not, then what is the next step?

Thanks in advance.  Terrence

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 5 (662 Views)

Re: Presario SR5710F Needs HP/Compaq BIOS flashed.

[ Edited ]

Terrence,

It appears to me, that the BIOS is intact and functional. This can be confirmed by verifying that you can enter the BIOS setup routine, the computer boots from the hard drive, or the computer boots from a CD/DVD. The problem appears to be that the motherboard was replaced, that there was a bad BIOS flash, or that someone/something modified the HP "Tattoo" aka DMI. Flashing the BIOS will not fix this issue. Correcting this issue will require an authorized HP service shop to reprogram the model name, product number, serial number, build ID, etc. from the case into the computer.

If your only issue is not being able to use your HP Recovery Discs, you may be able to install a plain copy of Windows Vista Home Premium by following the instructions referenced on this HP forum thread entitled "No copy of my Vista Home Premium CD". You will, however, lose the use of any/all HP value added software that came with your computer.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
toolkeeper
Message 3 of 5 (644 Views)

LasVegaswireman.

Thanks for steering me  onto the right path here.  So, having figured that there might be 2 issues, 1, that the BiOS was flashed using a BIOS from who knows where AND replacing the HD that failed, chances then are very high, that I need a COMPAQ  Tatoo popped onto the replacement HD using a DMI utility.  In addition to the *tatoo*, would it be wise to also asked that the BIOS be reflashed to ensure that these 2 components are at a known factory state?   I know that for a fact, that there is NO COMPAQ OR HP LOGO TO APPEAR at anytime during the start up sequence.  A clue then that the SR5710F needs to have the tatoo accomplished.

I would  think that if the motherboard was replaced, that the factory would have tatooed the motherboard and or bios.  Is it possible that the motherboard was replaced without a valid tatoo? 

Going forward into the future, if I decide that i want to replace the small 250 gig hd for that of a 1 TB hd, is there something that i can do so that I dont have to walk the system down to the service center for a new tatoo?

If I was to upgrade to windows 7 or 8, would I also be looking to do yet another tatoo?

Thanks in Advance

Terrence.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 4 of 5 (633 Views)

[ Edited ]

The "Tattoo" is part of the motherboard... it resides in the BIOS in a section called the "DMI". The "Tattoo" only needs to be done once, provided it is done correctly. If no HP/Compaq logo appears at boot, something may be wrong. If you can get the system completely reflashed with overwriting all parts of the BIOS, it should clear up those issues. Then getting it "Tattooed" with the correct system information, should resolve any remaining issues.

HP customer service and authorized facilities will always "Tattoo" the system but have been know to error once in a while. Most likely, the board was flashed incorrectly or with an unauthorized BIOS, or its is a replacement board from an unknown third party.

You should have no issue installing a 1TB drive and no "Tattoo" would need to be done.

Again, no "Tattoo" would need to be done as upgrading to a newer version of Windows doesn't require the "Tattoo" to activate / pre-activate. The only need for the "Tattoo" is when using HP Recovery Discs or an HP OEM SLP factory installed operating system.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 5 of 5 (620 Views)

One other thing to note... if the HP/Compaq logo doesn't appear at boot, a BIOS option named "Boot-time Diagnostic Screen" may have been enabled. Enabling the "Boot-time Diagnostic Screen" function replaces the HP or Compaq logo screen with a boot screen that quickly displays startup status messages. This may be the reason you aren't getting a HP/Compaq splash screen.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation