Question

Top Student
akinslove
Message 1 of 8 (996 Views)

Problem creating recovery disk

[ Edited ]

I have tried creating recovery disk on my hp laptop but i keep getting error. At first I thought it was a problem with the empty DVD-R i bought so I bought another from a different store and same problem exist.

I have tried to contact hp directly via e-mail but couldn't find any email details (except phone numbers which is only available week days and I do have a preference for email cos of work busy schedule). I believe a recovery disc should be provided to all customers at no cost especially in cases where what they have sold to me cannot perform the simple task of creating a recovery disk.

First I must say I always believe Hp laptops was better than many laptop products out there and have always been patronising the company on all products (even advising friends to do the same) but my experience with this laptop I bought which is less than 15 months where I now have to order a new hard disk, battery, and charger for the fourth time. Charger I can understand but hard disk problem in less than 2 years and a product without a recovery disc is absurd.

Can anyone give me a support email I could contact or best advice me on what to do.

Thanks in advance.

laptop: Hp G61

product: vy441ea#abu

serial: [Personal Information Removed]

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 8 (989 Views)

Re: Problem creating recovery disk

Here are the specs for your HP G61-410SA Notebook Computer. Please read this HP document for information on ordering HP Recovery Discs. Contact HP UK via telephone, chat, or email from this LINK. If you reside in a different region, please select that by clicking on the globe in the lower left corner of the customer support webpage.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Intern
peleus123
Message 3 of 8 (982 Views)

Hi akinslove. I would rather call tech support on this. Troubleshooting over the phone with an Engineer would most probably be the best route for you.

Along the way, they could easily pinpoint which one is causing this for you.  

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 4 of 8 (970 Views)

Have you tried DVD+R media? I know it states DVD-R or DVD+R, but some DVD drives can be finicky.

What brands did you try? I always use HP branded DVD+R.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

Intern
ideadude
Message 5 of 8 (968 Views)

I know that it is really lame that HP and other stopped supplying recovery media, and other program and driver related media like earlier.

Just get the disks from the factory. Any home made disks are not going to last as long as factory burned media.

I spent over 3K on my desk top workstation, and did not revieve any benificial documentqton or CD's. Pathetic fold out poster sized document that showed where to hook up the color coded cables. That was it. I di not need that.

Top Student
akinslove
Message 6 of 8 (964 Views)

Thanks everyone for your reply.

In my opinion, and after speaking to Hp support, I have finally seen that the company is a rip off. To imagine the support could tell me I have to purchase the recovery disk is unreasonable and I feel ripped off cos this is a service every customer should be entitled to (not to even imagine that I still have to purchase a new hard disk cos the one I have is spoilt in less than 15 months). And to even imagine a poor support service to customers is really apppalling and really spoilt my monday morning.

I googled the error message hard disk 301 error and it is unbelievable the number of threads on this issue compared to other products. One would expect a company like this would strive to improve all products and not just printer service. And its so strange how they started producing fake laptops cos I knew hp laptops were top notch in the past and if I was the only one complaining now i might say one bad error but the number of complaints of recent makes me wonder what the company is really after.

This would be my last experience with hp laptops cos I am beginning to see they imitating other bad laptop companies out there and I wish everyone will know. Guess its back to Toshiba or dell now, at least they don't give constant hardware problems and can last 3 years before hardware problems (software problems ok but hardware in this mordern age is too bad, chargers and batteries we know its common but not harddisk n ram problems in a laptop...jeez).

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 7 of 8 (958 Views)

[ Edited ]

Akinslove,

Sorry that your problems were not handled to your expectations.

You never mentioned error 301 until your last reply, nor did you answer my question about DVD+R.

I have read in several "make your Recovery disk" texts by HP. Most refer to DVD+R as better than DVD-R.

In that respect, I was amiss, as I was trying to get you to try DVD+R.

Here is the exact excerpt from HP:

Recovery Disc Creation software creates a set of system recovery discs using blank, writable DVDs (DVD-R or DVD+R). HP recommends using blank DVD+R discs. Use a name-brand label from a manufacturer you trust, as these recovery DVDs are very important.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

Top Student
akinslove
Message 8 of 8 (952 Views)

[ Edited ]

wb2001,
I tried with both DVD-R and DVD+R and it was the same error.

I was probably pissed off cos of the feedback from HP after calling and sending emails. I believe I have used different laptops in the past to know that recovery disc is a service Hp should provide me at no cost and no stress.

I did not mention the hard disk problem earlier because it wasn't really what got me annoyed and I had already ordered a new hard disk earlier which I have to return back to the seller cos I'm no longer gonna be using an Hp laptop ever again. Paying for something (recovery disc) I should be entitled to pisses me off and to think Hp is turning to one of those companies that is ripping people off is annoying.

Thanks for your advice, I do appreciate your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation