Question

Honor Student
ChrisBean
Message 1 of 2 (178 Views)

Problem pulling data from hard drive - Presario Desktop

[ Edited ]

Hello - I am a tech working on trying to pull data from a hard drive from a Presario Desktop sr1426nx, Product # px734a-aba.  The Windows XP system has become infected with Malware at the MBR level.  I have connected the hard drive to an external sata connector as a secondary drive on another machine to pull the data.  Unfortunately, when I have this drive connected as a secondary drive, I can only see the recovery partition, and the data partition (that has the OS and actual files) shows as unreadable or corrupted.  When I put the hard drive back into the desktop, it loads the OS fine and I can see data until the malware locks up system processes.  I can connect a different hard drive as a secondary to my computer, and don't have a problem reading the data.

So my question is, is there something with the way these drives as put together that would keep me from reading the data when the drive is connected as a secondary device to another computer?  

thanks!

Chris Bean

[text removed for privacy]

Master's Graduate
WendyM
Message 2 of 2 (174 Views)

Re: Problem pulling data from hard drive - Presario Desktop

Hi ChrisBean,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. Since this is a duplicate post I'm going to lock this one, please check your other post here for replies:
Malware locking up drive - trouble pulling off data. Presar

Thanks!

Wendy M - HP Support Forums Moderator

Click the Kudos star as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Be sure to come back and click the 'Accept as Solution' button on the post that solved your issue - it may help someone else.

Rules of Participation

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation