Question

Intern
Fresco
Message 1 of 24 (4,392 Views)

RECOVERY MANAGER

[ Edited ]

I've got a HP Pavillion p6142p-b

Vista Home Premium 64 bit    PC

I was having problems with Dreaded Blue Screen of Death... safe mode worked well enough to poke around a bit... after dozens of failed attempts to boot up in regular mode...

I decided to perform a system recovery to try and see if that would resolve the problem and whilst doing so, the recovery manager prompted me to back up my files onto an external hard drive.

I backed up my files onto an external hard drive but when I tried to restore the files I couldn't. I've tried several ways to actually restore the files but this did not help at all.

Using (recommended) has zero effect

Using (advanced) seems to get me a little further at least... sort of... but not really

Another thread suggested I download "sp36300.exe" did that... I can see the file, or what seems like it should be a portal to get to my files here ... 

SCREEN SHOT_01

I hit "OK" and it takes me to this window again...

SCREEN SHOT_02

then nothing happens, and seems like a constant loop, when I hit the "open backup" icon it takes me back to SCREEN SHOT 01  (everything else is grayed out, and only other option is to 'cancel' or go 'back' to square one???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried using windows to access my external Hard Drive ( J:  ) 

All I'm getting is 2 files, one named backup.1 and the other backup.2 The backup.1 is supposedly the (.exe) which is supposed to activate the restore process but every time I click on it, RECOVERY MANAGER activates

I have tried to run the backup.1.exe file from both normal and safe mode. I have deleted the contents of the recovery folder on the root of the C: drive, and the shortcut from the Desktop...  I have not tried renaming the files because I do not have any files that have a double digit in the name.   Plus when I try to change the file name, it reverts to the orginal  name once I deselect it.

Each time I run the application file (backup.1.exe) it loads the HP recovery manager, acts like its working on recovering, then gives me a bit fat "RUNTIME ERROR"

Error:

"Runtime Error!
Program: F:Backup.1.exe
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

can anyone please help?

thank you in advance

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 24 (4,387 Views)

Re: RECOVERY MANAGER

[ Edited ]

Try these articles.  A couple of them may fit the problem.

What service pack level is VISTA at?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Intern
Fresco
Message 3 of 24 (4,382 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Big Dave...

been poking around in there for a bit... but so far, nothing pertaining to the problem I am facing...

(Curious: how do I find out "service pack level Vista" is at?)

Recovery Manager is currenly frozen, I don't even get the runtime error... so maybe its a good sign.  Others have posted that it froze for hours, and then magically started to restore files somehow... not holding my breath... but here is hoping that happens to me as well... so tempted to reboot ...but gonna give it a bit more time and hope for the best.

(until that happens... I am all eyes and ears on any/all other options... besides staring at a frozen screen)

:smileyhappy:

Intern
Fresco
Message 4 of 24 (4,342 Views)

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately... still no luck  : (

Screenshots:

SCREEN SHOT_03

Double clicking on "Backup.1" launches Recovery Manger...

it creates a folder on my C drive, a shortcut on my desktop... then soon as it starts, it just stops...  ???

please help

thanks in advance...

Intern
Fresco
Message 5 of 24 (4,296 Views)

[ Edited ]

If this is not where I can make  "contact the application's (HP) support team" can someone please tell me where that is?

thank you

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 24 (4,286 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.

Go to Microsoft and download the latest ++C Runtime update.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 7 of 24 (4,282 Views)

Hello Fresco, Can you just highlite the Backup2 selection?

The Backup1 is the executable file for the Backup application, and the Backup2 is the actual files that are to be restored.

Just some thoughts.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Intern
Fresco
Message 8 of 24 (4,256 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Big Dave... but as I am sure you can imagine... I am at wits end.

The compressed files I am trying to open are saved as .fbw 

a file format that I have gathered in the past 24 hours as something exclusive created by HP for HP on my HP system

This HP system prompted me to save my files, but now won't give em back to me???

I am open to the idea this might be Microsoft's fault and not HP...

so I did as you suggested... I have Service pack 2 updated on my (x64) system

after countless searches, I found this c++ updated created less than a year ago... if there is a more current one, I can't find it.

C++ 2010 update

Microsoft... HP...

who cares really... I don't care whose fault it is... I just want my files back... and seems I am not the only one

There are countless message boards with similar threads from the past couple of years

full of the same exact issue I am experiencing today... and all the home remedy fixes are not doing the trick for me.

How is it that HP does not have a fix or update or big red letter warning saying that I should kiss the files goodbye that HP is currently supposedly saving for me on that screen when I am trying to save my computer??? 

all dramatics aside..

how is it cool to not post some kind of warning-- if the issue is known, and if an actual fix is not readily available

why not prevent me (a loyal customer) from walking off the same exact cliff as countless others have for dozens of months already?  This is jsut crazy!!

The files are all right there, I can kind of see them, I can almost feel them... but no way possible to get to them!!!!!

arrrrggghhhhhh!!!!

Intern
Fresco
Message 9 of 24 (4,240 Views)

first of all... if I appeared ungrateful in any way for the suggestestions in resolving this matter... I apologize... the fustration level shoots up higher everytime the error pops up.  I really appreciate all the suggestions... thank you.

I just came across this in relation to C++ runtime error...

"There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!

NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall Windows.  A Repair Install will NOT help!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page: https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/

Otherwise...

1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually: http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!  You may need to download the MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now post the requested logs in an appropriate forum for assistance by an expert in such matters. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

I can recommend the expert assistance offered in these forums: http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0, http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup, http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php, and http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30

If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop."

I am hesitant to click on any hyperlink after reading this... and not sure if its from a reputable source or not...

this it just keeps getting stranger and stranger

can anyone shed some light on the "highjacking" possibility?

thank you in advance

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 10 of 24 (4,228 Views)

Run this MS tool if you think you might have a virus.  You might need to boot an emergency virus boot CD to do a more complete scan.

HP Touchpad
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation