Question

Honor Student
Zong
Message 1 of 7 (1,590 Views)
Accepted Solution

Re-activating Windows Defender in Windows 8

Hi All,

This is my first time here so please bear with me.

I bot a HP Pavilion desktop yesterday and everything was going smoothly until I tried to turn on WINDOWS DEFENDER. The message is "Windows Defender turned off by vendor". I don't want to use any other anti-virus, anti-blah blah...packages since I am an all-things-Microsoft kind of guy. Anyway, how do I go abt turning Windows Defender back ON again? I really, really appreciate anyone who can help me on this one.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 7 (1,587 Views)

Re: Re-activating Windows Defender in Windows 8

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete product number of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers that are all different. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the side, back, or bottom of your computer.

HP may have included a third party anti-virus program. This program needs to be disabled and uninstalled before you can turn Windows Defender back on.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
Zong
Message 3 of 7 (1,573 Views)

Dear Professor,

The brand is a HP Pavilion 500-035d Desktop PC. Product model is H5Y83AA. It has Norton Internet Security pre-installed on a 60-day free trial basis.

In order to uninstall Norton anti-virus software I would go to the Control Panel, click on Programs And Features, locate Norton Internet Security, select it and click uninstall. Is this the procedure I would use? You mentioned about disabling the software and I wander if disabling and uninstalling are the same thing or is there more I need to do to totally remove Norton anti-virus.

If uninstall is performed successfully, how would I reactivate Windows Defender?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 4 of 7 (1,563 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, you will need to uninstall "Norton Internet Security", using the steps you yourself have indicated. The reason I said "disable and uninstall", is because many AV programs will not let you unistall them while they are active.

To reactivate Windows Defender, go to the new Windows 8 desktop and type "Action", click "Settings", and click "Action Center".... verify the status of Windows Defender and click the "Turn on Now" button. Next, update the definitions in Windows Defender... then do a full scan.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
Zong
Message 5 of 7 (1,546 Views)

Thank you Professor. I followed your advice and it worked! Now I'm well on my way to enjoy my new PC and Windows 8 with Windows Defender ON. Your assistance is highly appreciated. Zong.
Student
Bluerm
Message 6 of 7 (1,311 Views)

Hi,

I have a similar problem on an HP Pavillion TS 15 notebook pc (Touchscreen Laptop) running windows 8. I have used the norton removal tool to remove the Norton antivirus but when I go to the Action Centre and try and click the "Turn on now" button the waiting icon appears and then after 30 seconds or so i get the error - "Windows Defender couldn't turn on real-time protection." - error code 0x800705b4

I have updated the definitions, run a quick scan but still it gives the same error.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Bluerm

Student
Zephen
Message 7 of 7 (848 Views)

Re: Re-activating Windows Defender in Windows 8.1

I can't find the turn on now botton.   Help-

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation