Question

Top Student
MirelaPopa
Message 1 of 20 (548 Views)
Accepted Solution

Restore your PC to factory defaults

I'd like to restore my HP destop slimline to factory settings. It runs Windows 7 and has got a recovery partition. I also got two extra partitions (data partitions). My question is: if I restore the computer to factory settings will my data partitions be erased? 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 20 (541 Views)

Re: Restore your PC to factory defaults

Hi:

Yes, they will, so make sure you back up your files.

A system recovery deletes partitions, creates partitions and formats partitions as they existed when you bought the PC.

So any modifications you made to the drive will be wiped.

Paul

Top Student
MirelaPopa
Message 3 of 20 (524 Views)

Is there any way to re-install only the OS without touching the data partitions?
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 20 (521 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, but you can't use the recovery partition.

Here's how:

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn as ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Paul

Top Student
MirelaPopa
Message 5 of 20 (512 Views)

Is the above link trusted?
I think I should download the same version of Windows as the one installed on my PC...
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 20 (511 Views)

They are genuine Microsoft downloads which come from the Digital River site.

This is the same place you are sent when you purchase Windows online.

Yes, you need to download the version of Windows 7 that came with your PC, or the product key on your Microsoft COA label won't work.

In other words, if your PC came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, then download the Windows Home Premium 64 bit file.

Top Student
MirelaPopa
Message 7 of 20 (508 Views)

Many thanks, this is what I'm going to do ;-)
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 20 (507 Views)

You're very welcome.

I have done it myself. I made both a DVD and USB bootable flash drive using the Microsoft ISO to USB installation tool.

All you need is a 4 GB USB flash drive and install from that (or you can use the tool to make a DVD).

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Just make sure that you see that Windows installs on your C:\ drive.  :smileyhappy:

Top Student
MirelaPopa
Message 9 of 20 (504 Views)

Is this something that unpack the ISO file on a USB or a DVD to make it bootable?
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 20 (496 Views)

Hi:

That USB tool will take the ISO file and put it on a DVD or flash drive to make it bootable.  I didnt use it to make the DVD. I used it to make the USB install.

I used this program to burn the ISO file to a DVD. Works great.  It is simple to use. Has a menu option right on the home page to BURN ISO file..

http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download

Select the "more downloads" link and download the version without open candy.  Sometimes virus programs report that open candy as malware, so I use the non-open candy version.

You just point the program to where your ISO file is and if you can select a slower burn speed than the default, it is best to do so.

Just make sure you get the whole file to download.

It may say complete but it needs to be 3.xx GB and some folks only get 2.xx GB and then wonder why it doesn't work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation