Question

Tutor
Cowman
Message 1 of 30 (6,137 Views)

Restoring HP MediaSmart DVD program -How??

In my attempt to get the Win-7 update to work properly I removed all of the programs that the advisor indicated that there may be a conflict with. All those with the yellow highlighted "!". One was the HP MediaSmart DVD application. I just assumed that I could go online and download the latest app. Wrong. Finding the app on the HP site was easy but when I select 'download' I am rerouted to a commercial site that wants to sell me bundled software. Trying to get this resolved through HP email support is fruitless. The support personnel are most likely very intelligent people but their command of the English language is somewhat thin. It seems that they want me to reinstall Vista! Not a good choice given the pain I had upgrading to Win 7. They indicated that the program resided on the 2nd disk of the recovery pack (at least the one that they sell you). But my Vista recovery set (3 disks) contains what appear to be compressed files. Anyone know how to get the source for this program, HP MediaSmart DVD, back so that it can be reinstalled? But in retrospect I have to ask do I really want it? My system (an e9120f) came with a Blue Ray DVD and I can play standard DVDs using the Windows Media Player. Any real advantage to the HP DVD application?
Intern
squid13
Message 2 of 30 (6,130 Views)

Re: Restoring HP MediaSmart DVD program -How??

[ Edited ]
This is for notebooks  but the program should be the same. After you install you'll probably have to update. This may work OK. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=373970 Read the whole thread first.
Message Edited by squid13 on 11-01-2009 06:49 AM
Any day above the grass is a Great Day!
Tutor
Cowman
Message 3 of 30 (6,123 Views)

Sorry, it did not install. Some kind of "error applying transformations"? I appreciate the effort though. Which begs another question. Are these FTP files, with their names, listed anywhere in a format that is more readable than the .txt file on the FTP site?
Teacher
pcah9
Message 4 of 30 (6,113 Views)

I originally posted all about getting this to work,it works flawlessly on ANY laptop/desktop.

Did you download and save all the links to your desktop THEN on all of them right click and then properties then run in compatibility mode...vista sp2????

I bet you did not did you.

Tutor
Cowman
Message 5 of 30 (6,093 Views)

Well, you were correct! However, after downloading the source again (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp43501-44000/sp43710.exe, this is the B2 version), changing the compatibility to Vista SP2, executing it,  here is what I get: "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid. C:\SWSetup\sp43710\1033.mst" I must admit I am at a loss about what 'transform paths' are.

Teacher
pcah9
Message 6 of 30 (6,080 Views)

Did you run the Smart menu installer first before any of the others?ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42001-42500/sp42238.exe
Tutor
Cowman
Message 7 of 30 (6,074 Views)

Actually no. I'm not sure what it is and why it was not present after my 'upgrade'. All of the other programs came through and are running, even some old Win 2000 Access databases. Im am in the process of downloading it now. Is this a program, once installed, which I'm going to regret installing?
Tutor
Cowman
Message 8 of 30 (6,073 Views)

Well that did not work. I ran the program and it required me to close MediaSmart. It appeared to install, but no change in installing MediaSmart DVD.
Intern
pauly212
Message 9 of 30 (6,071 Views)

I've got more or less the same error

"error applying transforms verify that the specified transform paths are valid C:\hp\tmp\src\1033.mst"

I uninstalled Mediasmart DVD before upgrading aswell as windows 7 wouldn't install with it installed.

Paul

Teacher
pcah9
Message 10 of 30 (6,078 Views)

Right i will now hold your hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.Uninstall HP mediasmart totally from your system.

2.goto here and download the files to your desktop,ie save to desktop.http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=373970

3.Right click on each one,properties/compatibility/vista sp2..In this order right click on each one and run,ie install them.......

1.the media smart start menu

2.the media smart MVP

3.the media smart DVD

4.the media smart TV

5.the media smart WEBCAM

Now go to HP website ...support and drivers...type in your computer model....choose win 7 o/s ...you will see there are updates for the media smart software.

Download them saving them to your desktop,when saved...run them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation