Question

Top Student
raccoozie
Message 1 of 4 (3,489 Views)

Software Installed on Authorized Machine Only

[ Edited ]

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 64bit on my HP D5000t Desktop. This desktop originally came with Vista 64bit. There is only one thing that I am having problems with now. The one piece of software that I wanted from my original install was HP HD DVD Play. I have an executable that I got from HP some time ago. This executable should install DVD Play on my system. However, when I initiate the install, it stops and gives me an error message: "This software can only be installed in authorized machine." I have spent several minutes with HP Support Chat to resolve the issue. My understanding is that the install is no longer recognizing that I am allowed to install it. 

I have seen posts elsewhere detailing the same error message for HP Quick Play. Their solution was to modify a registry file and set a flag called QPFlag. I would like a similar solution for HP HD DVD Play, or some other fix.

Grad Student
Santo21
Message 2 of 4 (3,460 Views)

Re: Software Installed on Authorized Machine Only

HP DVD Play comes only the factory installed OS. If you had changed the OS then don't expect your computers HP applications to work with the retail version of OS.

However few of these applications might work if you had tried an update from Vista to Win 7 instead of clean install.

I would recommend you to try any other free media playing applications like VLC or use Windows Media Player.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
Top Student
raccoozie
Message 3 of 4 (3,459 Views)

I would LOVE to use a free media player. However, I have yet to find one that plays HD formats such as HD-DVD and Blu-ray. HP HD DVD Play does everything that I need it to do. It is free and it plays HD-DVD (the new versions of the big name media players no longer do) and Blu-ray. 

I know there has to be a way to bypass this authorization problem, at least. They did it for HP Quick Play, they can do it for this. If I can get past the authorization only to find out it doesn't function on Windows 7, thats another matter. 

I have a few HD-DVDs that I would prefer to be able to watch instead of just take up space on my shelf.

Honor Student
barrytoddhammon
Message 4 of 4 (3,247 Views)

This is a problem for everyone upgrading to Windows 7 when they have a blu-ray drive.  HP Support pages mention nothing about this problem before you upgrade.  You bought a computer, software, and a blu-ray drive.  Yes, you should expect this software and hardware to be available and to work after upgrading to the new OS, whether you wanted to preserve all of the other HP crapware or do a new install only only use the BD/HD DVD player software.  HP support is of absolutely no help and will only waste hours of your time.  Your warentee is up so they don't care.  I am thinking of buying a new LG blu-ray burner from Best Buy, installing the Cyberlink software that comes with it, then returning it, but this might hurt Best Buy and they have been very good with customer support in the past for me at least.  LG and Cyberlink and complicit in this fiasco because it is an LG drive sold by HP with Cyberlink software. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation