Question

Honor Student
RobStewart
Message 1 of 9 (8,007 Views)

Stuck on 'Windows Resume Loader'

PC Info: HP Pavilion Elite - HPE-541F

I turned on  my PC this morning and it looks like it did not shut down properly.

I booted the PC up and it is stuck on the 'Windows Resume Loader'.  It appears as though my keyboard is not responsive. I can not get into any of the bios features or recovery features that appear after the POST.

I have searched online and it appears that the fix is to use a ps/2 keyboard to solve the issue, only this PC does not have a ps2 port for me to connect the keyboard to.  Everything seems fine with the PC I just need a way to advance the PC into windows and get past this screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 9 (7,977 Views)

Re: Stuck on 'Windows Resume Loader'

Hello RobStewert, You may need to reset the BIOS. You can do this by disconnecting the power cord, remove the side panel, and either remove the onboard CMOS battery or use the jumper pin method.

Just some thoughts.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
RobStewart
Message 3 of 9 (7,971 Views)

Didn't work.  I got the message that said 'BIOS Settings have been restored .... ' etc.  But after that message it went right back to the 'Windows Resume Loader' and I can't get past this for some reason.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 9 (7,969 Views)

RobStewart wrote: Didn't work.  I got the message that said 'BIOS Settings have been restored .... ' etc.  But after that message it went right back to the 'Windows Resume Loader' and I can't get past this for some reason.

Hello RobStewart, Can you advise if you have a Windows 7 DVD? If so you may be able to repair the Windows 7 boot loader.

If not, you may need to try a HP Recovery Restore. If this works, it would wipe the hard drive clean and put the system back as it was when shipped from HP.

If you want to try this, just boot the system and immediately when the HP Logo appears, start tapping the F-11 key and you should enter the HP Recovery Restore Utility.

You should choose a destructive recovery, and this will reformat the hard drive and restore the original software.

If this is successful, you would need to go to the Windows Update site and download and install the Windows Updates.

You would also need to reinstall any applications you had earlier.

This procedure is a little drastic, but may be the only way to get the system up and running again.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
glassracn
Message 5 of 9 (7,645 Views)

You may already fixed your issue,but what i did was use the 1st recovery disc and let it load windows and it got to the 1st screen and asked if you want to start recovery or cancel and re-boot. I clicked cancel and reboot and she fired right back up!    I also removed the cmos battery with no luck!

Im sure your issue has been taken care of but I wanted to pass this on .     

Intern
jason9922
Message 6 of 9 (5,915 Views)

None of those ideas that anyone gave worked.  This is happening on my HP DV2150 Pavilion laptop. I tried the CMOS battery thing before getting on here, I put a blank hard drive in there to see if it was the hard drive and it keeps going to the Resume screen.  It starts and give me the HP screen but only says "press escape for setup", no press blah blah blah for whatever. Then it goes to the resum windows screen, gives 2 options, but the keyboard acts froze.

Top Student
patoia
Message 7 of 9 (4,930 Views)

I'm running under Windows Vista on an HP a6150e.  I've recently experienced a similar prolem when trying to resume Windows.  I get the message from the Windows Resume Loader that I have two options.  It seems that regardless of the option selected, the resume error comes back again.  I've resorted to depressing the power button and releasing it just as the internal disk drive is winding down.  If caught in time, Windows will come back again as if there was no problem in the first place.

I've heard that Svhost or a virus may be the culprit and there is software out there that claims to fix this problem such as https://www.pchealthboost.com/registration/.  I haven't tried this yet and would welcome other ideas first.

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 8 of 9 (4,380 Views)

Hello patoia,

You’re getting an error stuck on windows resume loader.

First I would run a hard drive check to make sure that you don’t have a hardware problem.

Turn off the computer, as you turn it back on tap the F2 key, this should bring you to a hardware diagnostics screen, run a hard disk test.

If everything passes you can create repair disks and run those.

Here is a link to create repair disks.

Let me know how everything goes.

Top Student
patoia
Message 9 of 9 (4,365 Views)

I performed a disk check and everything was good.  This problem tends to be intermittant so I guess I'll have to wait for the next occurrance.  The solution sounds as if it may solve the problem but somehow the disk hardware or software has settled down for now.  thanks for the insight.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation