System Recovery Discs Do Not Support This Computer (928 Views)
Tutor
blacktop
Message 1 of 8 (928 Views)

System Recovery Discs Do Not Support This Computer

Two weeks ago my HP Pavilion Elite, Model HPE-480t hard drive crashed.  It was a 1.5TB that came with the PC.  I bought a WD 1TB hard drive and installed it.  When I used my recovery discs I received a message, "The system recovery discs do not support this computer.  You are not able to restore this system with these discs."  Since I had never used these recovery discs I assumed I had screwed them up so I bought genuine System Recovery discs from HP.  Received them yesterday - same result as before.  I called HP tech support and I was told that those recovery disc will only work with a hard drive that is identical with the original hard drive.  The difference being between the two hard drives that the original HD had a 3GB/s and the new one is 6GB/s.  Is that correct?  They "graciously" offered to replace my new hard drive witha hard drive that would work for only $180.  Seems a little steep but I'm stumped.  Are system recovery discs that technical?  I would appreciate another opinion.  Would buying a new motherboard get me out of this?  If someone knows a resolution to my predicament I owuld be most grateful.  Help!

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 8 (921 Views)

Re: System Recovery Discs Do Not Support This Computer

Hi,

Actually SAME size will fix the problem because the recovery set is trying to recover everything INCLUDING empty space. The software is trying to do sector by sector.

Hope this makes sense.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
blacktop
Message 3 of 8 (920 Views)

So are you saying if I bought a 1 1/2TB hard drive like the original THAT would fix the problem?  Does it have to be HP?  Does it have to be 3GB/s or will 6gb/s be OK?  Does it have to be 7200RPM?  I can't keep buying hard drives.  What if I just buy a straight up Windows 7 Pro from Microsoft & be done with it?  Thanks for the response.    

Tutor
blacktop
Message 4 of 8 (901 Views)

Any help would be appreciated.  I did not fully understand the response.  Thank you.

Tutor
blacktop
Message 5 of 8 (880 Views)

Anybody?????? 

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 8 (876 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You actually do have more options that will avoid spending more $$. The first thing I would try is the utility that HP provides. It is used for when recovery disk set does not work with a new hard disk. Follow the instructions on this web document.

Post your results. If the results are negative we can install the OS on your new hard disk with another method.

What is the model of WD SATA drive that you bought?

-erico

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
blacktop
Message 7 of 8 (826 Views)

I followed the instructions but my system just sat there and did not appear to recognize the CD with SP44645 on it.  Would it be better if I removed the hard disk from the PC, installed it on my other PC (a Dell), loaded SP44645 on it, and then put it back on the HPE-480t?

My new hard drive is a WD10EZEX 1TB, Model WD10EZEX-75ZF5A0.

Thanks for y'alls help.

Tutor
blacktop
Message 8 of 8 (796 Views)

Here is my current status:

1.  Following the instructions I was able to create a disc on a Windows 7 machine (the one I created on a Windows 8 machine did not work).

2.  Inserted the created CD into the new hard drive system and FINALLY received the "green check mark display".  Shut the systen down and rebooted with the HP Recovery Discs.

3.  Received the same "System Recovery Discs do not support the computer."

What do I try next?  Any help is appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation