Question

Top Student
Someone
Message 1 of 8 (38,401 Views)

System Recovery F11 not working.

I got a big problem.

today i just turn on the computer and there was message

"BOOTMGR missing"

thats ok because i know how to fix that problem, so i reboot my computer and try to enter System Rcovery by click F11 key while in boot menu, but guess what it's not openning !!!, but other systems like setup and Diagnostic tool is working, but exept system recovery !!!!, it just not open.

Help pls, help and my computer moddel is HPE-088d and Window 7 64 bits

Intern
seatac10
Message 2 of 8 (38,375 Views)

Re: System Recovery F11 not working.

Hp Document Number c01973791

This document pertains to HP and Compaq desktop PCs that came with Windows 7.
The following error opens when attempting to start the PC:
BOOTMGR is missing
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the PC
If you recently installed an additional hard drive, turn off the computer and remove the drive before using the following steps:
  • Open HP System Recovery:
  • CAUTION:Do not perform a system recovery! Stop at the first recovery screen.
  • Press the F11 key repeatedly while the computer is starting.
  • If you have a recovery disc, turn on the PC and insert the first recovery disc into the drive. Use the disc to enter the system recovery.
  • Select Microsoft Startup Repair tool and wait for repair to find and fix errors. When finished, restart the computer; even if the startup repair tool finds errors but cannot fix them.
  • If the error message persists, open the recovery manager screen as was done in step 1.
  • At the recovery manager screen, press ALT + D.
  • Enter the following text at the command prompt: bootrec /rebuildbcd
  • If bootrec displays "Add installation to boot list?", press y .
  • After bootrec completes successfully, the computer displays "The operation completed successfully".
  • To close the command prompt, enter the following text: exit
  • At the Recovery Manager screen, select Microsoft Startup Repair tool (again) and wait for startup repair to find and fix errors. When finished, restart the computer.
  • The error should no longer open. If it does, perform a system recovery, making sure to backup important files.
  • If you removed a hard drive before using these steps, replace the drive. If the error occurs again, make sure the additional hard drive is not set as an active drive. Only the main bootable drive should be set as active.
    Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
    Top Student
    Someone
    Message 3 of 8 (38,347 Views)

but my problem is not BOOTMGR, my problem is F11 is not working.

Provost
    Big_Dave
    Message 4 of 8 (38,345 Views)

F11 (Recovery) not working is a common issue and HP doesn't really explain why it happens.  Did you burn a set of HP Recovery Disks? If you can get a repair disk from someone and boot up and mark your recovery partition "active" then your system will boot from the recovery partition assuming that it still exists, is not corrupt and the hard drive is good.

Otherwise, contact HP and order a set of recovery disks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
    HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
    HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
    Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
    Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
    Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
    Student
    karinaaf
    Message 5 of 8 (33,386 Views)

I am having the exact same problem.  My f11 key does not work.  I have the recovery cds and my cd drive seems to be reading them but after a little while my windows starts up as usual..  I want to format and I don't know how else to!  Pleasen help me!!! 

Student
    shah108
    Message 6 of 8 (30,301 Views)

how did you reslove this... i am having the same problem. thanks

Student
    NICKSOULREBEL
    Message 7 of 8 (27,976 Views)

Same problem.

can't load restore from f11.

I loaded win 7 onto it with upgrade disk.

But Windows will not allow the disk to be used in France. paid 120 for it. 

So thought I would restore it back to Vista . Did that with a vista disk as F11 will not work and Microsoft will not accept the key on label on HP as correct. Downloaded a restore disk but that will not do it either. Seems to be a lot of problems with Buying stuff in London and using in France. And when you go into a leading software supplier and ask if the windows disk can be used in France they say yes you get a bit fed up.

I tried on the HP web site to find the restore disk and tells me to look on web as they dont carry large stocks. 

MY question is is there a way to recover the recovery from  hidden partition. 

Thanks 

Student
    evasion
    Message 8 of 8 (21,706 Views)

[ Edited ]

I also have the same problem on a HP Pavilion Dv6, i restored the pc because some files were failing, so i had to buy the Recovery Disks from HP and i restore the computer because F11 doesnt work, so i have to start the CD ROM drive by presssin F9 which takes me to a selection in wether i want to start the Hard drive or the CD/DVD drive so i start the CD/DVD ROM drive and the recovery starts normally every thing works and the command propmt wors as well it reports that bootrec is succesfuly installed i just dont get it, because factory reseting takes 3 stages, stage 1 and 2 complete successful, but the 3rd stag which is "restoring files to the hard drive" fails once it gets to 8% and an error message pops up  saying "usually restoring the hard drive fixes the problem in most cases, contact HP suport" and im like **bleep**, so i restart the PC and it says "recovery successful" so in like **bleep**?? and it simply doesnt work my PC is out of the 1 year warranty by like 2 months, and the Indian muther**bleep**er wanted to charge me 59 dollars to fix it through the phone, so im like hel no im not paying 59 bucks, i can buy a brand new HDD for $56 on amazon, so i hope someone can help me before I waste 59 bucks thanx and if you can send me a link to a solution please i would be glad 

[Personal Information Removed]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation