System Recovery-How long should it take? (7625 Views)
Student
Katayn
Message 1 of 9 (7,625 Views)

System Recovery-How long should it take?

Hi I have an M8000n and my HDD died and I had to get a new one. It has been stalled at 48% for around 3 hours now doing a system recovery and has not asked for the 2nd disc yet. Is this normal for it to take so long? I went from a 500gb to a 1 tb HDD.

Thanks Kat

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 9 (7,617 Views)

Re: System Recovery-How long should it take?

[ Edited ]

Kat,

Sometimes the older PCs don't like big hard drives.  I have seen one post out here where it took over night but that is not normal. You do have lots of hard drive to format.  Are you recovering a VISTA system?

Besure to disconnect all devices except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Recheck all the cables inside and be sure that the memory dimms are seated correctly.

How much memory do you have installed?

Try clearing the CMOS.  It's a long shot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Student
cbloyer81
Message 3 of 9 (7,248 Views)

I am doing this right now on an HP laptop.  It has said "creating recovery partition" for an hour now.  Is this normal? 

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 9 (7,244 Views)

[ Edited ]

cbloyer81 wrote: I am doing this right now on an HP laptop.  It has said "creating recovery partition" for an hour now.  Is this normal? 

Hello cbloyer81, On a Laptop, it does take some time for the Recovery process to complete using the HP Recovery Restore Disk set.

I performed this procedure on my Grandson's Compaq Laptop a while back when his hard drive failed, and as I recall it took close to four hours to complete. This may have included all the Windows updates also, but it did get my attention when it took so long.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Student
laura604
Message 5 of 9 (6,520 Views)

I am on my 3rd hard drive for my HP 300 Touchsmart PC.  The first one died in weeks, and since I hadn't yet created recovery disks, when a new disk was sent, HP also sent me a full set of recovery disks, just in case.  I'd never used them.  A couple of weeks ago, the hard drive that had worked fine for about 18 months, died.

500 GB drive--I've replaced it with a 500 GB drive.  I insert the "Use this first" recovery disk, and everything seems to load --Windows..then I get a screen with three circles--a check mark inside a green circle with an arrow pointing from there to the picture of a disk being removed, pointing to a photo of a hand holding 3 disks.  My assumption is this is telling me to take the first disk out, and then insert in order the ones labeled 1:3, 2:3, 3;3.  But when I do that and insert the first disk, I get nothing seeming to happen--the drive doesn't sound like its running (maybe it is?), the screen doesn't change, nothing--and it's been like that for an hour.  Should I be seeing something else, or is this normal--and how long should I expect for it to take before I'm prompted for the next disk?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 6 of 9 (6,517 Views)

Hello laura604, You might try inserting the Disk 1 of the set and boot to that disk and see if the Restore Disk set will work.

I am not familiar with the first disk you mention. As I mentioned earlier, it took me about 4-5 hours to restore a Laptop a while back.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
ChaosMentor
Message 7 of 9 (3,562 Views)

Honestly, this is a ridiculous amount of time.  Why doesn't HP just use a Clonezilla license and be done with it.  I troubleshot a software issue on a brand new PC for a client and decided the fastest method to fix it was to rebuild the OS.  Reload the software and I'm done. So much for being faster.  

This gluttonous recovery method reminds me of machines designed for home use with gloatware rather than business class machines.

I tried to find out what was on these recovery and supplemental disks to take so long to install but had no luck.  Also there is no option to repartition the hard drive either.  Really??

I demo'ed a PC about 10 years ago that just loaded a clone image from the disk.  It was great.  15 minutes and you're done.  I know that images are much larger, but DVD speeds are much faster too.

I'm frustrated and venting.  I don't like charging my client time for sitting and watching a PC install software for 2 to 4 hours.

I hope HP re-evalutes how system restores are done in the future.  Still...out of all the brands, HP is my favorite.

Honor Student
ChaosMentor
Message 8 of 9 (3,561 Views)

...and yes...it's the NEW normal.  2 to 4 hours.

Honor Student
ilovebertha
Message 9 of 9 (1,928 Views)

I'm doing my system recovery but with the reinstalling original software its been at 0% for two days...please what's wrong
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation