Question

ssn Top Student
Top Student
ssn
Message 1 of 13 (4,931 Views)

System Recovery Incredibly Slow

I did some searches around the forums for this issue and didn't find anything, so I figured I'd post.

I own an HP Pavilion a1130n. Up until recently I was using Ubuntu on there, but I decided I'd like Windows XP back for some music projects. I couldn't find the system recovery disks, so I ordered them from HP. The disks install Windows XP Media Edition 2005.

Another note: I am using a USB keyboard and USB mouse, but not the keyboard and mouse that came with the machine. The USB mouse I have (logitech) works fine during install, but once it boots up windows it won't move.

Install goes fine, until it boots into Windows and starts a bunch of scripts that launch a Supplemental Recovery. It does a loading bar for a while, changing things around and working, until an alert box asks me for the Supplemental install disk. I put the disk in, it's recognized... Nine hours later and the Photo software is still installing. I'm not sure what happened between now and nine hours ago, but I don't think it should have taken 9 hours to install supplementary software. 

Anyways, the install is still going, but I'd like to talk to some people about the issue and see if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks!

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 13 (4,972 Views)

Re: System Recovery Incredibly Slow

Are you installing on the old hard drive? If so, did you select Destructive Recovery when you started the recovery?
ssn Top Student
Top Student
ssn
Message 3 of 13 (4,915 Views)

Yes - I don't think it would have installed otherwise, because of the fileystem differences.
ssn Top Student
Top Student
ssn
Message 4 of 13 (4,936 Views)

The install finished overnight. The USB mouse does not work and I had to use a PS/2 keyboard in order to navigate the menus. I restarted and after a brief loading XP screen it's now displaying a black screen and nothing else. Which is what happened the last few times I tried this and forced restart during the extended install session. Each time restoring from backup partition or cd.
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 5 of 13 (4,975 Views)

Use the free Copywipe utility to zero-fill the drive.  Next step is to reload windows via recovery CDs.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 6 of 13 (4,965 Views)

Do not use the recovery partition due to the fact that it may have corrupt files. If it takes that long to reinstall you need to wipe the drive as suggested and start fresh. If that does not help then your hard drive may be going bad. Open the case and remove and reinstall the memory and cmos battery. It is sometimes needed to refresh the cmos settings and clear the memory of any remnants.

Make sure when performing this task not to leave anything connected except the mouse,monitor and keyboard. Also no printers,etc. and disconnect from the internet until needed.

ssn Top Student
Top Student
ssn
Message 7 of 13 (4,924 Views)

Thanks! I'll give it a try - sounds like a good idea.
ssn Top Student
Top Student
ssn
Message 8 of 13 (4,905 Views)

As suggested, I have wiped the drive to 0's with CopyWipe. I'm now using the System Restore disks again. After about 45min - hour I have passed the point at which it asks for the Supplemental CD. It's now giving the loading animation.

So far it seems faster, but I'm still not sure - will have to see how long this next step takes, and if it's still super slow I will reinstall the memory and CMOS.

The USB mouse is still not working :smileywink:

Thanks for all your help.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 9 of 13 (4,898 Views)

We can worry about the mouse when you get it up and running.
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 10 of 13 (4,895 Views)

USB mouse/keyboard are not functional because you did not enable USB mouse/keyboard support in BIOS.  Without this option in the BIOS, one should use a PS2 mouse/keyboard.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation