The Cleanest Install (Windows 7 Recovery Discs) (67244 Views)
Honor Student
SomeDude5
Message 1 of 16 (67,244 Views)
Accepted Solution

The Cleanest Install (Windows 7 Recovery Discs)

I am using a pavilion notebook (dv7-3085dx) and I would like to do a clean install of windows 7.  After ordering recovery discs from HP I booted from the system recovery dvd, reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled windows 7.  Then it asked me to put in the application and driver recovery cd and proceeded to install a ton of bloatware on my fresh system.  There is no autorun option on the cd that allows you to NOT fill your computer full of useless **bleep**. 

After googling the problem I came up with two possible solutions: 

1)  Installing the full applications and drivers cd and then using a program such as pc-decrapifier 

2)  Selectively installing useful drivers and apps after the clean install by using a cd-image program.

I am under the impression that programs such as "pc-decrapifier" still leave bloatware remnants in the registry and that selectively installing useful drivers and apps can be tricky.  Does anyone have some advice for how I should proceed and what applications and drivers are essential/useful?

TL;DR How should I go about reinstalling windows 7 to avoid bloatware and have a fully functioning computer? 

Thanks guys!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 16 (67,218 Views)

Re: The Cleanest Install (Windows 7 Recovery Discs)

[ Edited ]

You cannot do it with Recovery discs from HP, you could however use a standard W7 install disc, then download and install software and drivers using this page,

Select Software and Drivers Downloads

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4041797&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

W7 ISO downloads here

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/28/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-do...

Honor Student
SomeDude5
Message 3 of 16 (67,210 Views)

Wow, so I completed my 3rd "clean" install (using the recovery discs) just minutes before your response and you are right- the computer is still loaded down with junk.  I can't believe that I payed $16 for these recovery discs and there is no way to avoid all of this useless bundled crap.  I feel as though I have been "had."

Just so I am clear: you are recommending that I download a windows7 cd image file, burn it onto a cd, and then do a clean install using the new disc?  Will there be any legal consequences for using this method?  Will I still get Windows 7 updates?  Is there anything else that i need to be aware of when installing from the standard windows 7 install disc?  Also, the link that you sent me appears to be broken.  I am fully capable of searching for ISO files, but do you have another link that you would recommend?

Thanks for your help

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 16 (67,201 Views)

SomeDude5 wrote:

Just so I am clear: you are recommending that I download a windows7 cd image file, burn it onto a cd, and then do a clean install using the new disc?  Will there be any legal consequences for using this method?  Will I still get Windows 7 updates?  Is there anything else that i need to be aware of when installing from the standard windows 7 install disc?  Also, the link that you sent me appears to be broken.  I am fully capable of searching for ISO files, but do you have another link that you would recommend?

Thanks for your help

1. yes

2. The links in that page are to Microsoft site, but I am no lawyer

3. Yes

4, Yes you may have to load a Sata driver (Intel Only) during Install, there is a "Load driver" option during the beginning of W7 setup, if W7 setup does not find a hard drive, start setup over again and load the Sata driver.

There may be other drivers you will need to install after installation is finished, check device manager for any missing drivers, if you can connect to the internet do a windows update and see if it suggests and optional driver downloads.

5.  Try this link, I would not trust other sources, the iso's could be infected.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/28/downlo...

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 16 (67,201 Views)

You will have to install the same version of the OS that came with that PC, use the license key on the COA sticker that is somewhere on the PC.

If it will not Activate after you get to the desktop, call Microsoft and tell them you reinstalled from a DVD, they will help you get it activated and legal.

1-888-725-1047

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 6 of 16 (67,164 Views)

The HP Recovery solution for windows 7 gives you an option by the name 'Minimized Image Recovery'...By running recovery using this option. Only OS, Driver, HP System software and HP mediaSmart Suite will remain on this notebook...

Here is pic of what i am talking about...

Untitled picture.png

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 7 of 16 (67,157 Views)

Cyclops, so that mean no bloatware is installed? I assumed minimized recovery just meant full reinstall to the current C partition and leave all other partitions alone.

HP really needs to work on the documentation of this feature.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 8 of 16 (67,151 Views)

Yup...no preinstall software....This even leave user created partition intact as well...

Documentation is in works....

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 9 of 16 (67,141 Views)

One last question, when we make recovery discs does it use the version of recovery manager that is currently installed on the PC? Let me clarify, if we update recovery manager before we create the recovery discs will the discs use the newly installed recovery manager?

Thanks.

Student
jordan1-
Message 10 of 16 (19,451 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation