Question

Tutor
lilmerkem1889
Message 1 of 15 (1,359 Views)
Accepted Solution

This windows 7 copy not genuine????

Ok so i recently got new computer parts, and with new computer parts came a system restore. So i went ahead did the system restore and had no problems, everything was a ok. Now today i boot up my pc to see "This copy of windows is not genuine" Whats all that about?? I have re-installed windows 7 with the built in HP HDD Partition which holds a digital copy of windows for me to restore multiple times before with no problems, now its yelling at me saying its not real?? Please do help me, i dont want microsoft busting through my door for "Copyright infrigment" when its authentic =/

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 15 (1,351 Views)

Re: This windows 7 copy not genuine????

Just go to this website and click on the blue validate area.  I believe HP uses some standard keys for preinstalls and recovery and Microsoft just wants to double check when it see new equipment.  It has always just come back and said validated for me.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/what-is-validation

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Tutor
lilmerkem1889
Message 3 of 15 (1,345 Views)

Didnt work ;(

Tutor
lilmerkem1889
Message 4 of 15 (1,340 Views)

Nevermind everyone, i fixed it :smileyvery-happy: Thank god i still had my old pc case with the certification label on it xD 

Top Student
liltis
Message 5 of 15 (1,115 Views)

I purchased a new HP Pavilion Elite m9520f Desktop with Windows Vista pre-installed, and received free upgrade to Windows 7 Home Prem. 64 bit in 2010 which I installed at that time. My C drive was failing so I used Seagate Acronis to clone the drive. Now I have the Windows not Genuine message. The download recommended:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/what-is-validation - doesn't work. But if I enter the Windows 7 product key from the upgrade disk in the Windows System page, a message says Success - Validated. But I'm still getting the Genuine Windows Error, and my computer is haning up.  Is there any solution to this?  Or do I really have to purchase a new copy of Windows 7 and do a clean install?

Professor
npw05001
Message 6 of 15 (1,094 Views)

Hello liltis,

I see that you are having problems wit the Windows 7 is not genuine error. I suspect it has something to do with cloning the drive.

I would try this link for Windows validation. It is different than the one you included I have had experience with that one being helpful.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

Top Student
liltis
Message 7 of 15 (1,091 Views)

Hi  npw05001,

Thanks for replying. I tried that site, but none of the fixes there worked. The exe file indicated to download wouldn't install, and I'd get the Genuine Windows error code.  I performed all the other fixes too from that site, but nothing resolved the problem.

Professor
npw05001
Message 8 of 15 (1,089 Views)

Have you spoken with Microsoft?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

Top Student
liltis
Message 9 of 15 (1,081 Views)

Yes. They say that I must purchase a separate full version of Windows.  I purchased my HP computer loaded with VISTA with a free Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade from HP soon after. Because the Windows 7 was an upgrade, migrating/cloning the failing drive would invalidate the Windows (eventhough I had both the VISTA and WIN7 product keys.

HP never gave me VISTA DVDs before I upgraded to WIN7. If they had, I could reinstall VISTA and then reinstall the upgrade.

When I called HP - they said I could pay $200 and someone would come to my home to fix the computer, but that it was out of warranty, and they refused to discuss the matter further over the phone. The cost of $200 for HP repair is the same as the cost of a full version of WIN7 Home Prem.

Professor
npw05001
Message 10 of 15 (1,060 Views)

You can order the recovery discs which has the Vista OS included. Here is a link to HP's website for your computer. If you select order recovery media you can place an order for the disc at the website.

Signature

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation