Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Problem started with the purchase of a an External Drive 4 Tb My Book from Western Digital.

I bought this second Extenal Drive for Backup to an existing IDENTICAL totally functinal WD My Book 1230 4 Tb.

My PC is an HP Pavilion e9180f running Windows 7 64 Bits.

The new Extenal Drive is not recognized by the PC ...I get the errror message

Device driver software was not successfully installed

Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed

My Book 1230 X Failed

When I update the driver (with the Administrator rights) I get the errror message

Windows encountered a probleme installing the driver software for your device.

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it (USB Mass Storage Devive - Access is denied)

I have tried the not recognized HDD on an HP Envy Laptop running Windows 8 and it's recognized and working fine (so the drive is OK).

As a possible solution I have downloaded and installed the Driver for this HDD from WD without clearing the situation.

I have tried plugging the WD My Book 1230 on all existing 7 USB Ports of the PC and the situation still exist.

In Device Manager the faulty WD My Book 1230 shows up as "Other devices" category.

I have tried running the Microsoft Mr.Fixit without correcting the problem.

Do you have a hint to help me solve the problem.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, your procedure didn't work as the device couldn't be uninstalled from Device Manager.

As I was getting ready to reinstall Windows 7, I was gathering information from the Control Panel - Programs.

I did a search by the most recent dates and I realized that an Application was installed and I was not aware that I installed it.

The root cause of my 9 days long search for a solution was a malicious program called Setting Manager by AZTEC.

Removing it and rebooting the Desktop cured the problem.

Now all USB devices, including my Western Digital My Book 1230 are recognized.

Thansk for your hints, support and everything.

This is a "Case Closed" with a happy ending 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If the new WD My Book 1230 does not work and the other one, which you stated uis identical does, then you should contact Western Digital support or consider returning the device to the vendor. 

Just connecting the new identical product to the usb ports and windows having issues with it  compared to the other one means that the issue is external.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I realized I have forgotten an important detail...sorry about that.

When I purchased the My Book 1230 that is not recognized by my PC I returned it to the store the same day and exchanged it for a new one.

The new exchanged My Book 1230 that I got from the store does the same thing ...it's not recognized.

HP Recommended

It may be a  bad batch issue or the firmware in the new external hard disks has issues.

If the old one still works, it still means that the issue is still external to the PC. Ergo...there is  issue with the Western Digital external hard disk.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have called Western Digital Support and they say the drive is fine based on the fact that it works on a Laptop with Windows 7 and a Laptop on Windows 8.

I'm stuck with the problem I guess...

Is there  a way to reinstall the USB Drivers on my H Pavilion e9180f ?

I have checked HP Support for my Desktop and I don't find any USB Driver to reinstall.

Do you have another solution apart from returning the drive to the store wher I bought it ?

HP Recommended

@McIntosh_Man wrote:

I have called Western Digital Support and they say the drive is fine based on the fact that it works on a Laptop with Windows 7 and a Laptop on Windows 8.

I'm stuck with the problem I guess...

Is there  a way to reinstall the USB Drivers on my H Pavilion e9180f ? Reinstalling the usb 3.0 drivers will involve a repair install or a recovery see the link below.

I have checked HP Support for my Desktop and I don't find any USB Driver to reinstall.

Do you have another solution apart from returning the drive to the store wher I bought it ?

Try the following steps first

"With the disk connected

1. Right-click on Computer and choose Manage.

2. Double-click on the Device Manager.

3. The device will usually appear under "Other Devices" or "Unknown Devices"; right-click on it and choose Uninstall.

4. Once it has disappeared from the Device Manager, disconnect the device.

5. Open a Windows Explorer window (right-click on Start > Explore).

6. In the address bar, type c:\windows\inf and press Enter. For Windows 7 type c:\windows\system32\driverstore and press Enter.

7. Delete the file INFCACHE.1."

If you get an error while trying the preceding steps

1. Right-click on INFCACHE.1.

2. Select Properties.

3. Click on the Security tab.

4. Click Edit to edit permissions.

5. Click Add to add Group or User name.

6. Click on the user name under which you are currently logged in.

7. Click on the Full Control box in the lower permissions section, then click OK.

8. Delete the file.

9. Reboot and reconnect the drive. The file should be rebuilt, correcting the problem.

10. If that fails, you will need to try to reload the USB drivers for the operating system by inserting your Vista install CD, rebooting, and attempting a Repair/Restore.

Is the disk recognized by the OS in Windows Explorer and usable now?

If it is not, then you will have to save your data externally and perform a repair install or a recovery of the operating system.

A repair install is preferable since you won't have to re install all of your programs

HP Recommended

Thanks for the procedure.

I will try that on monday and let you know if it helps.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, your procedure didn't work as the device couldn't be uninstalled from Device Manager.

As I was getting ready to reinstall Windows 7, I was gathering information from the Control Panel - Programs.

I did a search by the most recent dates and I realized that an Application was installed and I was not aware that I installed it.

The root cause of my 9 days long search for a solution was a malicious program called Setting Manager by AZTEC.

Removing it and rebooting the Desktop cured the problem.

Now all USB devices, including my Western Digital My Book 1230 are recognized.

Thansk for your hints, support and everything.

This is a "Case Closed" with a happy ending 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.