Question

Student
DonPierce
Message 1 of 2 (225 Views)

Update from MS 8.0 to 8.1 on HP Desktops & Poor Customer Support

Just purchased two new(in box) HP Envy 700-56s.  I attempted three times, each,  myself to install after a complete download of 8.1.  HP Tech Support tried twice themselves without success through command of the machine.

Both devices will not accept the installation of WIN 8.1 (FREE).  So it is not a hardware situation.

Microsoft tech support attempted twice, too, through command of the devices without success.  Apparently, an operating system Product Key is requried for MS to continue.  On my previous HP machines(numerous), the MS Prod Key was labeld on the case of the machine...not these machines.

HP Customer Service could not or would not provide the Product Key for the operating system on these machines.  That was a quote from a HP supervisor.

However, the supervisor said that for a one-time fee of $49.95, they would try to fix it.  On a brand new HP machine - I think not.  I do not care if this is OEM operating system or not.  HP built the machine.  Therefore, I will not be held hostage to a mafia type, arm twist to extort more money on a product that should work 100% of the time.

I am on a knats hair ledge to return both machines...and never purchase HP products again.

Respectfully,

Don Pierce

Professor
jaco1x4
Message 2 of 2 (216 Views)

Re: Update from MS 8.0 to 8.1 on HP Desktops & Poor Customer Support

[ Edited ]

Hi Don,

You should be able to upgrade to Win 8.1 seamlessly. All updated Win 8.1 drivers are available here for your system (is this your system?).

Microsoft (MS) recommends all unnecessary peripherals should be removed (disconnected) prior to installing the update.

Try updating all drivers prior to the MS store update. Graphics drivers have been causing many failed updates.  There is no BIOS update so that should not be an issue. Please see this site for upgrade tips,

Yes, on new OEM systems the product key is encrypted and embedded within the BIOS. MS should provide a Win 8.1 activation key. HP will only support the factory installed operating system so it's a shell game.

There is a workaround but you need a retail or upgrade Win 8.1 key. See this post. Also, Newegg will be soon selling Win 8.1 backup media. The cost is not specified but have heard it will be reasonable. Again, you must have a Win 8 key to use this disk successfully.

You need a placeholder key to be able to install 8.1 should you decide to try the workaround. There are two types of keys, one for the normal version and one for the Pro version.
334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT for Core
XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB for Pro.

These keys are generic placeholder keys and cannot be used to make illegal copies work.

Once it has been installed, you will be required to enter your original (and legit) Windows 8 key and then activate it. It's insane that they won't allow all Windows 8 keys. HP should provide a Win 8 activation key for the Win 8.1 upgrade. HP is providing Win 8.1 drivers so you must have a configuration problem that is causing the Win 8.1 installer to complain.

Someone should provide a remedy. Unfortunately noone will take ownership of your problem.

I am not an HP employee. Hopefully an HP employee will see your post and provide assistance.

HP products:

H8 1380t CTO, Intel i7 3820 processor. 16 GB DDR3, PC3 -12800 Ram. AMI bios(UEFI).
Pegatron Motherboard- IPIWB-PB (Pittsburg) Beats Audio. AMD Graphics, Radeon HD 7570 1GB. Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro.

Envy Phoenix 810-150se.
Win 8.1 Pro

i7 4820k Ivy Bridge, Pittsburg 2 mainboard, 12 GB ram, NVIDIA GTX 645- 2GB GDDR5.
Liquid cooled system.

Jaco

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation