Upgrade Windows 8 to Pro (352 Views)
Top Student
hanginghelmet
Message 1 of 6 (352 Views)

Upgrade Windows 8 to Pro

I have an HP Pavillion P7-1446S.  Windows 8 came preinstalled but I want to upgrade to Pro so I can get Windows Media Center.  According to the Microsoft website..."If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store."  What exactly does that mean?  Will I not be able to update any of the HP apps that came preinstalled?   What affect will upgrading have to what came preinstalled?  Will I lose them when I upgrade to Pro?  I want to make sure before I do the upgrade.  Thanks to everyone in advance for your help!!

Teacher
6137tx
Message 2 of 6 (320 Views)

Re: Upgrade Windows 8 to Pro

hanginghelmet wrote:

I have an HP Pavillion P7-1446S.  Windows 8 came preinstalled but I want to upgrade to Pro so I can get Windows Media Center.  According to the Microsoft website..."If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store."  What exactly does that mean?  Will I not be able to update any of the HP apps that came preinstalled?   What affect will upgrading have to what came preinstalled?  Will I lose them when I upgrade to Pro?  I want to make sure before I do the upgrade.  Thanks to everyone in advance for your help!!

Hi

It all depends, if you upgrade, you wont losse any of those preinstalled programmes..

But if you make a fresh install (Format).,,,you will lose all the pre-installed softwares and programmes,

But you can get all these programmes by downloading and installing from HP support and Drivers Website:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=5297073&lang=en&cc=us...

Hope this helps.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
**---'Accept as Solution' ----**if it solves your problem and make it easier for other people to find solutions.
Top Student
hanginghelmet
Message 3 of 6 (316 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  Well what do they mean that I won't be able to install apps that are provided by HP?

Teacher
6137tx
Message 4 of 6 (316 Views)

It mean that windows won't install them for you or you cant find them in windows store ,, and they are not responsible for any HP programs...

Alternatively, you must seek PC manufacturer website to obtain those programs. (this can be done by the link provided in my previous post)
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
**---'Accept as Solution' ----**if it solves your problem and make it easier for other people to find solutions.
PhD Student
Rixander
Message 5 of 6 (303 Views)

when you do any OSes upgrade, some of the apps will not work and you will need to re-install the app and you can check on the product spec of your pc and upgrade according to your model if HP have updates for the pro

and some apps maybe non-hp products and check the site of that appfor upgrades and/or any that you may need to aquire a download to get it back if the upgrades took out the app that was in it

Please provide Kudos to whom has provided answers or
good points or advice..
Aslo if the questions or issues solved please check it
"Accepted"
Thanks and you are welcome _____ Rick
Associate Professor
jaco1x4
Message 6 of 6 (276 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't think you would have any problems upgrading to Win 8 Pro. You are getting upgrades like: joining a domain, bitlocker, virtual drive, and others.

It should be a breeze and you can install Media Center free here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

All apps installed on Win 8 now should work on Win 8 Pro. Everything installed now should work when you upgrade and HP updates should also work.

Jaco

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation