Question

Honor Student
kbrownlow
Message 1 of 5 (258 Views)
Accepted Solution

Upgraded xw6200 ro Win8, need to update Graphics Card - advice please?

Hi

Recently upgraded to Win 8 on my son's HP Workstation xw6200.  The Graphics Card (Nvidia Quadro NVS 55/280 PCI) is no longer working and I understand this card is not supported.

Can anyone suggest a suitable, inexpensive replacement? There are four slots the same (one has the current card in), a PCI-Express x 16 (graphics) above them and a PCI-Express x8 prime* slot beneath.  Both are empty at the moment.  The * explanantion is 'PCI-Express x8 prime connecter that has x4 bandwidth'.

I have never changed PC components before but a google search suggests it is relatively straight forward....if this is not the case, please also shout!

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 5 (241 Views)

Re: Upgraded xw6200 ro Win8, need to update Graphics Card - advice please?

Here are the specs for the HP Workstation xw6200. According to the specs, this system has a 500 watt power supply, which should be acceptable for most low-end to mid-grade PCIe x16 graphics cards. Depending on the need for a consumer class or business/professional class card, I would recommend different cards. Please indicate the kind of graphical processing being done on this computer, so that we may recommend a suitable replacement.

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
kbrownlow
Message 3 of 5 (234 Views)

Thanks. Will be basic games, dvds etc. It is his first pc and he is only 10 so nothing to heavy. Looking at a geforce gt630 - would this be a reasonable solution?
PhD Student
Rixander
Message 4 of 5 (227 Views)

you can go to nvidia site to find if there is a driver for it and also W8 should have detected and it did mine before i realized it was the same that nvidia had so i guess w8 did a driver search to get the drivers for it ... http://www.nvidia.com/content/global/global.php
Please provide Kudos to whom has provided answers or
good points or advice..
Aslo if the questions or issues solved please check it
"Accepted"
Thanks and you are welcome _____ Rick
Honor Student
kbrownlow
Message 5 of 5 (219 Views)

Thanks for responses.  It was a Geforce 210 that I bought.  Installed and now works like a dream.  Thanks for all your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation