Question

Top Student
Abercrombie
Message 1 of 8 (4,142 Views)

Using HP Recovery Discs without "Supplemental Disc"

[ Edited ]

I am trying to do a full pc recovery from HP discs on an HP m7000 desktop, model px721AA-ABA, running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.  The HP disc set is for Build ID# 53NAsyEPC1, which matches the label on the bottom of the cpu.

The recovery completes without any problems using the 3 HP discs.  After the system confirms the successful recovery, it prompts for a reboot. The system reboots, Windows XP loads, and then a full blue screen appears as the system begins the "one-time setup process".  A few moments later, the system prompts to insert the Supplemental Disc.  I do not have one, and did not receive one from HP with the 3 recovery discs.  There is no option to cancel or ignore, only "OK".  Selecting OK will cause an error saying the wrong disc is inserted.  Selecting OK again will shortly cause the system to shutdown.  Repeating the process after a restart produces the same result.  If instead, I ignore the prompt for the Supplemental Disc, the system will run indefinitely on the full blue screen.  I let it run for 15+ hours with absolutely no change.  I did a forced manual shutdown and started the full recovery process all over again.  After another confirmed successful recovery, the same scenario occurs, with the system prompting for the "Supplemental Disc".

Is there any way to proceed and regain full computer functionality without the "Supplemental Disc"?

Thank you for any suggestions or help in resolving this issue.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 8 (4,120 Views)

Re: Using HP Recovery Discs without "Supplemental Disc"

Hello Abercrombie, It appears these HP Recovery disks are no longer available from HP.

You might try recovering the system by booting the system and pressing the F-10 key when the HP Logo screen appears.

If the D: Factory partition is still intact and not corrunpted, you may be able to perform the HP Recovery Restore using this method.

I'm not sure this will work, but is worth a try.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Top Student
Abercrombie
Message 3 of 8 (4,118 Views)

Thank you.  I tried that yesterday. The system confirmed a successful recovery and then loaded with the same blue fullscreen, producing the exact same result.  I have a 300GB HDD, but the sytem is only showing it to be about 24GB, 14GB on the C drive and 10GB on the partitioned D drive.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 8 (4,113 Views)

Abercrombie wrote: Thank you.  I tried that yesterday. The system confirmed a successful recovery and then loaded with the same blue fullscreen, producing the exact same result.  I have a 300GB HDD, but the sytem is only showing it to be about 24GB, 14GB on the C drive and 10GB on the partitioned D drive.

Hello Abercrombie, Your question about the 300 GB hard drive was answered on your other post.

I did see where you may be able to locate the entire Recovery Restore disk set, including the Supplemental Disk. The price for these was $27.00 USD. Shipping may be an additional cost.

I'm not sure these would work on your system either, but if you are interested in trying to locate them, just let me know and I will see if I can locate them again.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Top Student
Abercrombie
Message 5 of 8 (4,109 Views)

Thank you.  I have seen them for sale also, and I was hoping to avoid purchasing them.  I already purchased the set from HP.  I guess I may have no other choice since I can't seem to find a workable solution without the "Supplemental Disc".

Student
celloflex
Message 6 of 8 (3,844 Views)

I have run in to the same problem. The system keeps looking for that supplemental disk. However, I actually purchased the 3 disk set from HP directly! NO supplemental disk. So what is really the solution here? If it was not included shouldn't HP have some solution or provide a download at the very least for this issue?

I really would like to know why there was not supplemental disk included and what the company/support will do about it. The brand name is suffering here obviously!

M

Student
emdeedee
Message 7 of 8 (3,779 Views)

Hello, I have the supplemental disc abercrombie was asking about...but I need the XP OS disc set...I have been looking high and low for it...I need to contact abercrombie or anyone else who would sell me this set...I NEED it badly...please help

Student
kevintroy
Message 8 of 8 (1,888 Views)

Make sure you do some reasearch yourself before you do what I say. I got lucky. I have windows xp home edition. My computer came with 12 restore disks, so i think its a bit different than yours. However I have had to wait hours and hours and hours for this to finish. However, when I restarted my computer it went back to blue screen as well. I learned that I was able to press control alt delete and stop the 3 programs that were running under applications. I was also able to use the windows key on the keyboard at blue screen. After I pressed ctl alt del and exited task manager I took a look at my hard drive. Somehow my hard drive only had 15 or 16 gigs on it. It used to have around 200 gigs. I have a link that explains it better at the bottom but, I had to download a 3rd party tool to get my the unnalocated space back into the C Drive. I downloaded the program the the guy suggests in the video. Before you download it try this first. Go to my computer, right click, click on manage, click on disk management, click on the unnalocated box, move your mouse up till you see the c and unalocated drives, right click on one of them and click merge. Mine wouldn't merge so I had to download the tool. Hope this was of some help for you.

youtube.com/watch?V=F8KEJYK16CA

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation