Question

Student
jbbmillar
Message 1 of 2 (471 Views)

Using Recovery Discs with New Motherboard

My HP Desktop started acting strange, giving disc errors.  The shop I took it to traced the problem to the motherboard and installed a new ASUS that supports the AMD chipset.  They also loaded a copy of windows.  I would like to restore my original operating system and have the recovery discs I made when I got the machine. 

I've put the disc in and started the machine and, after a long time loading, it tells me I can't use the recovery discs on this machine, I think becuase it doesn't recognize it as the same machine.  How can I recover the system?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 2 (451 Views)

Re: Using Recovery Discs with New Motherboard

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Unfortunately, the only way the recovery disks work is on the same PC, with the exact same model motherboard that it had originally along with the HP BIOS.

This is done to comply with the OEM licensing rules set forth by Microsoft.

To Microsoft, a different motherboard = a new PC. An OEM license cannot be transferred to a new motherboard, PC, etc.

You will not be able to recover the system to the state it came from the HP factory.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation