Question

Top Student
web4u
Message 1 of 16 (9,412 Views)
Accepted Solution

Using Recovery Disks on Windows XP System

I have a Pavillion A1102n that is no longer under warranty. Started experiencing problems with it last

Sunday and attempted to use the disks. However, the first one would not load. When I tried to open the drive

using Run, the drive folder showed me two folders and I didn't know which file would start the process.

So I went to Start ->Programs ->PC Help & Tools ->PC System Recovery and restored the computer this way.

However, whatever was done left all of the programs in my Program Files. Now, I'm receiving multiple messages

through Norton of Trojans in the c:\ drive under Documents & Settings and Windows folders.

If I use the disks, will this wipe the computer completely clean? And how do I get them to run?

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 16 (9,327 Views)

Re: Using Recovery Disks on Windows XP System

Hi web4u,

It sounds like you didn't do a full "destructive" recovery. Destructive doesn't mean it hurts your PC, rather it means it wipes out all the data files on your PC and returns your PC back to the state it was in when you purchased it. It sounds like you did a "non-destructive" recovery, meaning the PC software was restored, but your data files are left untouched.

Here is an HP support document that explains how to run a recovery for your PC.

Let us know how it goes.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Top Student
web4u
Message 3 of 16 (9,291 Views)

Thanks so much. Worked like a charm.
Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 16 (9,257 Views)

Just to add to this...to run Recovery from the cds you have to boot from the first one and replace each as requested.To boot from the cd, put the first disk in the drive and restart your pc.On reboot you will get a prompt to hit any key to boot from cd, tap the Spacebar.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
jslay
Message 5 of 16 (8,543 Views)

Question:  if I did not create a System Disk on a PC that is now saying "Boot disk failure, Insert System Disk and press Enter"... is it possible to make a system disk on a similar PC and run a Standard Recovery (one that will not wipe the hard drive)?

I have a Pavillion Model a1130n that is giving me this error message after a power outage. I tried pressing the F10 key during startup, but it did not start the recovery process.  It just went to a blank screen with the cursor blinking in the upper left corner of the screen.  I also have a Pavillion Model a1250n that is working fine since the power outage.

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 16 (8,534 Views)

jslay wrote:

Question:  if I did not create a System Disk on a PC that is now saying "Boot disk failure, Insert System Disk and press Enter"... is it possible to make a system disk on a similar PC and run a Standard Recovery (one that will not wipe the hard drive)?

If you haven't made a Recovery set for either of your machines, I would suggest doing it now for the 1 still working_ Instructions HERE 

Some Recovery sets will work on multiple machines if they were manufactured during the same phase,for instance I have 1 set that works on 3 different models owned by family members. No way to guess if yours will, so you will have to just try them. BUT,Recovery from disks completely wipes the hdd and restores back to factory shipped state.

However,first off_it is not a good sign that your pc is not recognizing your hdd (boot disk). The quick shutdown from power loss may have killed the hdd, or may simply have messed up BIOS settings.First try entering BIOS setup by tapping F1 key at power on. Once in tap the F5 key to reset defaults, then F10 to Exit and Save. If you are lucky it will start Windows.

If no joy it will be either hdd has to be replaced or a Recovery from Disks may work.You can try the ones made on the other machine_if you get a message that they are not supported,you can try ordering a set from HP HERE

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 16 (8,530 Views)

jslay

I just checked the part numbers for Recovery Disks of both your machines and it appears that yours are not going to be interchangeable. If the link above to order doesn't work (it is often down) you can Contact HP HERE

Tutor
Ritter197
Message 8 of 16 (6,761 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a problem with recory, actual they are called System Recovery disks

I have the original HP disks that came with the HP computer. I wanted to wipe everything and restore to factory condition, since I want to give this computer away and have 2 other HP computers and another HP copier. HP all around.

I did the Recovery and all went fine except after reboot now it said it would personalize and now I got a screen that the IDs of the disks are not the same as the SW.

YET - I know the SW ID Build is the same as what is at the bottom of the HP computer.

Here is some additional detail. But I thought everything would be fine, but the computer does not work as expected. Cannot get to Windows XP.

I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA, Serial
Number <text removed for privacy>. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 , HP5013-7947,
Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through the normal
process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences and
after it finished ask to "restart".
I did that and since then nothing happens other than above

What do I do now to get the computer working again?

Student
Biker_Jimm
Message 9 of 16 (4,010 Views)

This is an old question but I have what I think is similar problem.

So here go;s I had a hard drive issue and I was using the 3 recovery disks and following along as it said my data wouldn't be lost I would guess this is a non intrusive recovery it didnt seem to format my hard drive and the computer was recovered after only using or inserting the first of 3 disks. Now it never asked for disk 2 or 3 and the computer seems to work fine But my HHD still says its near full which leads me to think my data is still there and I really want my data if at all possible. as that being the reason for hitting R for recovery.

Any idea how I might finish the recovery or how to find my data as search all files does not find the photos and other item id like.

I thought about trying to insert the first disk again and start over by hitting the R again but I fear that if the data is not already gone it would be for sure if I did that.

Also I did get another Hard drive and went through the same process hitting F for format and it did take much longer did format and it also does work just fine .

But during this process It did ask for all 3 recovery disks and all was completed successfully. So again I just want to get help with photos of my children and dead relatives from my old HHD.

Help Please,Thank You Jimm

Tutor
BamaBull
Message 10 of 16 (1,381 Views)

my tower is an HP. the problem I am having is not being able to enter into BIOS. I have tried the F1, F2, F5, F8, and F10 keys at start up.  I have also created a startup cd for XP but it will not work. Each time, and any time I try to do anything, I get this:

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media into proper boot device  and press any key

I was just on the internet yesterday but today, I keep getting this and at one point COULD go to system restore but no longer. I did change something in BIOS but wanted to get back in and put it back but, all I get is the above message. Thanks for all you do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation