Question

Tutor
Knagsted
Message 1 of 6 (15,463 Views)
Accepted Solution

What is EFI boot

What is EFI boot (in the BIOS)? I have a HP Compaq Elite 8200 - SFF - 1 x Core.

Regards

Peter

Peter
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (15,452 Views)

Re: What is EFI boot

Hi, Peter:

Here is the definition from Intel.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/unified-extensible-firmware-inter...

If you want a more detailed description you can read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

I have the Elite 8200 CMT.

Paul

Tutor
Knagsted
Message 3 of 6 (15,449 Views)

Hi Paul

Thanks for your answer. I was just wondering why Icould'nt choose to boot from the harddrive in the BIOS boot up sequence under the EFI startup sources.

Peter

Peter
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (15,446 Views)

Hi, Peter:

I think you need to boot from the Legacy hard drive selection.

I have never really played around with mine.  I turn it on and use it.

The only time I have ever tried booting from another source was the DVD and I had to select Legacy to make it go.

I recommend you check one of the manuals like the service manual on the 8200 support and driver page.

It may provide the info you are looking for--expecially under the section of the manual pertaining the BIOS setup guide.

Paul

Tutor
Knagsted
Message 5 of 6 (15,443 Views)

Hi Paul

I am booting from the Legacy part to make contact to the harddrive and have selected the DVD drive as the first boot device and then the harddrive. I will download the manual on my new Pc which replaces the (good) old dc7800 CMT.

Peter
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 6 (15,438 Views)

I have a dc7800 CMT too.

The only thing I don't like about the dc7800 is that it does not have an ACHI BIOS.

It is either RAID or IDE and it takes longer to boot up in RAID mode, so I have my storage controller set to IDE in the BIOS.

I could never figure that out either because the dc7700 has an ACHI setting in the BIOS.

The 8200 elite has an ACHI controller setting, and that is the default setting, and it also can run a SATA III hard drive, which means you  can run a SATA III SSD in it if you want.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation