Question

Honor Student
sblive
Message 1 of 4 (8,078 Views)

What is HP Update software?

I have freshly install vista 64 bit ultimate on my hp m8000n. All the drivers installed smoothly. There is one program on HP's download site called HP update. Does anyone know what it does and whether it is useful or just bloatware?

Thanks. 

Tutor
spyglass
Message 2 of 4 (8,024 Views)

Re: What is HP Update software?

Nice computer. I'm running 64-bit Premium. My experience with HP Update is that it is similar to Microsoft Update; it tracks your hardware configuration and provides driver updates as appropriate. However, also in my experience, these updates NEVER install, because the installation process requires administrator priviledge. I have manually downloaded some of the updtes and installed them with success. If anyone can tell me how to set up HP Update with adminstrator priviledge by default, I would appreciate it. I have sent comments to HP support, following failed installations, but have never received a response.

Ray

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 3 of 4 (7,801 Views)

HP Update is very similar to Windows Update and it comes with every HP computer. It's used to updated motherboard BIOSes, firmwares for drives, software and hardware.

The hp update on the hp.com website is just an update for HP Update and not the program itself.

In case of a problem to reinstall the HP Update program, you must use the Recovery Manager program from you program list under All Programs, PC Help and Tools and select software program reinstallation.

My personal advice: When you run HP Update make sure that the HP Total Care Advisor is closed first and then proceed with the updates as that Advisor program can get in the way.

HP update isn't that important. Windows Updates are more important.

Intern
Tanton
Message 4 of 4 (7,795 Views)

Please visit the following web link which lists the details about HP Update program

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00865922&dlc=en

HP Technician

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation