Question

Teacher
mpw101
Message 1 of 4 (13,938 Views)
Accepted Solution

What is Symsilent?

I have an HP p6-2036c computer running Windows 7 sp1 64bit. It came preloaded with Symantec Norton Anti-Virus software.(Aren't they all.) I uninstalled this from Progams and Features. But in Program Files(x86) there is a file named Symsilent. It is also listed in Users>Public>Symantec>Symsilent>cclogs. The text files in cclog appear to be monitoring my activity. Is this some other program HP is using or is it a remnant of Norton Antivirus? How to remove it?

Teacher
mpw101
Message 2 of 4 (13,912 Views)

Re: What is Symsilent?

Got Symantec on the phone and although the tech did not recognize SymSilent program or remnant or whatever it is she did enter my registry remotely and get rid of it.

Still don't know what it was.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 3 of 4 (13,908 Views)

Hello mpw101,

If it was anything by Norton it should be easily removed by the Norton uninstaller (just uninstalling by the control panel doesn't always work)

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product

Some malware programs used to mask themselves as Symsilent as well so if it wasn't part of Norton then it could be malware as well and a malware program should be ran.

Of course this is all for future customers that may have the issue since you have already gotten your issue resolved by Symantec.

I would suggest marking your post as solved so another user who may stumble upon the thread may see your resolution. :smileyhappy:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Teacher
mpw101
Message 4 of 4 (13,894 Views)

Actually I first tried the "complete removal" tool provided by Symantec but it did not work.  Tech did not understand why not either but Symsilent was located in Symantec folder on the computer.  User>Public>Symantec>SymSilent.  Maybe it was related to some other bloatware but the removal tool would not remove it.  Maybe it is related to activating Norton Antivirus which I never did.  I removed it using the control panel without ever turning it on.

Anyway I was only on hold for 10 minutes and tech took it off.  At first she did not want to claim ownership because in the Program Files (x86) location there is no mention of Norton or Symantec and was going to send me to HP, but then I showed her it was in a Symantec folder under Users>Public and she said she was just unfamiliar with it and took it off at the registry.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation