Question

Student
mij747
Message 1 of 6 (9,058 Views)

What is the expansion bay on the front of my computer used for? And how do you open it?

Retired
MrMatthew
Message 2 of 6 (9,032 Views)

Re: What is the expansion bay on the front of my computer used for? And how do you open it?

Hello, 

Can you tell us more about what computer you have (model number, etc).  :smileyhappy:

-------
MrMatthew - HP Support Forums Moderator

Click the Kudos star as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Be sure to come back and click the 'Accept as Solution' button on the post that solved your issue - it may help someone else.
Student
russbuss
Message 3 of 6 (8,914 Views)

Re: What is the expansion bay on the front of my computer used for? And how do you open it?

I have the same question - I just bought a new HP Pavilion Series model no. p7-1039 ---*** there is actually a button to press that is to the right of the expansion bay. When pressed nothing happens.  Help would be appreciated!

Grad Student
lmann
Message 4 of 6 (8,912 Views)

Hi russbuss,

That expansion port is a place holder, you could put a blue ray drive in there, or another dvd/cd burner, something like that.  If you do put another drive in there, the button to the right would open and close the disc tray.

Enjoy your new computer!

Student
craigskaggs
Message 5 of 6 (2,944 Views)

I was told by HP product support that you could place (you have to take the cojmputer apart, I believe) an external Hard Drive, an optical drive, a pocket media drive (whatever that is) or "another hard drive" (which seems redundant.  My real question is:  which of these makes best use of the computer.  The tech guy opined that another hard drive would be most additive, but I already have a terabit of storage and another terabit on a removable drive.  So I'm still confused about "best use". 

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 6 (2,938 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The extra bay that you have referenced in typically used for a second 5.25" optical drive. Hence the need for the lever to open the bay door.

You could use that bay for other purposes depending on your needs. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation