Question

Honor Student
JoBart
Message 1 of 4 (3,554 Views)

When i click on a link i get a blank tab and a blank page

Using IE9, 64 bit edition and  AVG 2012 on a Desktop Model H8-1110t Pavillion HPE computer which is 3 months old. Since Start-Up I have downloaded "Google Chrome" and "Fire Fox" but do not actively use them.  My problem started about a month ago and happens when I click on a LINK, I get a Blank new Tab and a Blank Page.  Sometimes I get the error message : " Sorry Internet Explorer needs to Close" and all pages in IE9 then shut down . I've done most of the "fixes" discussed in the On-line Microsoft FAQ Answer sessions including resetting my IE9 settings, scanning for Malware, etc. and finally a System Restore but my problem persists. I've contacted AVG Support but was informed that the problem is not caused by their security software.  I'm hoping that someone can help me out of this very frustrating (and time-consuming) mess.

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 2 of 4 (3,549 Views)

Re: When i click on a link i get a blank tab and a blank page

Hi,

Please try this step once and check if it helps:

How to Turn GPU "Hardware Acceleration" On or Off in Internet Explorer 9

Let me know what happens..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
If you have HP Support Assistant installed on the computer(The Blue Question Mark) then open it ==> Complete all pending Updates & Tuneups==> Restart and Check. It may solve your problem
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
Honor Student
JoBart
Message 3 of 4 (3,546 Views)

Thanks for your response.  My GPU rendering was already turned ON.  So I turned it off by checking the box to turn it OFF.  This made no difference. When clicking on your Link "How to turn GPU Hardware accelerator ON or OFF", it still produced a blank tab and a blank page.  HOWEVER, what I don't understand is, that when I  "copy & paste" your Link, the page immediately pops up.  Oh, and I have turned my GPU Hardware Accelerator back on.  Thanks for directing  me to the Seven Forums.  Looks like this site could be of big help with any other computer problems I may incur in the future. 

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 4 of 4 (3,540 Views)

Yes..this problem is seen in IE8 and IE9..

Here is a link from technet..That has resolved the issue in many cases.. Though the file that it shows says IE8..it works fine for IE9.

IE9 open in new window/tab does not load

This is the correct file that you need to download and run: ie8-rereg.64on64.zip

Note: Follow the steps exactly as it shows

If this also doesnt work then there are few more stpes that can be tried but as you said it is a 3months old computer i would rather suggest to perform a system recovery (Factory Reset). Recovery should fix the problem as it is software problem caused by software conflicts.

Note:
If you have HP Support Assistant installed on the computer(The Blue Question Mark) then open it ==> Complete all pending Updates & Tuneups==> Restart and Check. It may solve your problem
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation