Question

Honor Student
johnnyna
Message 1 of 4 (203 Views)

Win 8.1 on HP workstations

I'm looking for a good performer for video editing and the Z230 may be about right for me.  I will also be doing some software testing and so being able to quickly restart from a clean install or at least original factory install is important to me.  Questions:

When will the Z230 be sold with Win 8.1 installed?  Which method of recovery or reinstall is likely most efficient overall for me:  recovery from recovery partition, recovery from recovery disk, clean reinstall from Win 8.1 disk?  In particular are there any downsides to reformatting the hard drive during a Win 8.1 clean install and thus wiping out any previous partitions on the disk?

Grad Student
ChrisT
Message 2 of 4 (192 Views)

Re: Win 8.1 on HP workstations

Hello,
Actually, the Z230s ship with Windows 7.

When you perform a recovery, the recovery partition is the fastest method in my experience. I strongly recommend creating recovery discs though.
-Chris

I work for HP.

Support Forums are now on your mobile phone: http://m.hp.com/supportforum
Honor Student
johnnyna
Message 3 of 4 (188 Views)

I know they ship with Win 7 now.  I was hoping you would know about when they would ship  with h8.1 installed. 

You can see my problem now perhaps.  I prefer to use 8.1 but if 7 is on the recovery partition, that means extra steps for me each time I recovery the box to the base state I want.

Student
Kuba_L
Message 4 of 4 (125 Views)

[ Edited ]

So how do you proceed about the clean install of Win 8.1 (free upgrade from win8) when you can't use the OEM key?

I tried using the key the Windows 8 has in registry, but win 8.1 installer doesn't accept it.

Am I allowed to edit Build IDs to make it work?

I need a clean installed Z230 win 8.1 Pro x64 for imaging purposes (sysprep) and can't get this done, because the only way so far for me is to restore Z230 to Win8 OEM DVD and then upgrade it through Windows Store (but then it can't be sysprepped as sysprep doesn't work on upgraded installations).

Do I have to go through editing the Build ID jazz in DVD/UFD of win8.1 installer media and matching it to BIOS string under Advanced Access menu?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation