Question

Honor Student
deaj05
Message 1 of 6 (1,770 Views)
Accepted Solution

Win Recovery vs HP Recovery

Forgive the duplication, if any, but I have looked  & could not find  an answer.

I have a new Win7/64-bit Pavilion desktop.  Is there any significant differences between the Windows System Image & HP Recovery?  I have already created a System Image & Repair Disk with Windows; do I need to create the Recovery Disk with HP as well?

Jeff

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (1,732 Views)

Re: Win Recovery vs HP Recovery

Hi Jeff,

HP Recovery Discs will reinstall the operating system to the condition the PC was in when you first purchased it - so you will have to apply all windows updates again, reload you're files and programs etc.  The windows image you create would reinstall the operating system plus your files, programs etc to the state the PC was in when you created the image - this is really useful as you can regularly create a new image.  I would always recommend creating the HP Recovery Discs - you can't be too safe.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
erico
Message 3 of 6 (1,725 Views)

Hi,

The significant difference is that Windows System Restore (you called it recovery) is not a destructive process in terms of documents, music and videos. They are not deleted. Windows System Recovery can also, but unfortunately not always, be reversed. That is convenient if you find that a particular restore point does not do what you expect it to.

HP Recovery is a destructive process. All of the data that you have on the PC is deleted during  the Partitioning and formatting process unless you have backed it up. The operating system and software that was included with the PC can be restored back to factory condition. 

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
deaj05
Message 4 of 6 (1,704 Views)

erico wrote:

Hi,

The significant difference is that Windows System Restore (you called it recovery) is not a destructive process in terms of documents, music and videos. They are not deleted. Windows System Recovery can also, but unfortunately not always, be reversed. That is convenient if you find that a particular restore point does not do what you expect it to.

HP Recovery is a destructive process. All of the data that you have on the PC is deleted during  the Partitioning and formatting process unless you have backed it up. The operating system and software that was included with the PC can be restored back to factory condition. 

Best regards,
erico

Thank you for your reply!I am aware of the difference between Win System Restore & Win Recovery (from System Image).  It is my understanding that Win Recovery resets the system to the state of the Image, and is therefore "destructive" also.

I asked my original question to help me determine which software to keep on my PC, or if I should keep both.  

Based on the 2 replies thusfar, it seems the 2 programs accomplish the same thing?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 5 of 6 (1,697 Views)

Hi Jeff,

The main difference is that the System Image created by Windows will include all programs, files, windows updates etc you have installed at the time you create the Image, whereas the HP Recovery Discs will just reinstall the OS, not any files, programs or updates you have added since purchase. 

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 6 (1,686 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Jeff,

Windows System Recovery is part of the operating system. You cannot remove it per se. All you can do is deselect hard drive(s) that are encompassed in a system recovery and set the percentage of disk space that is devoted to system recovery. Windows System Restore does not delete your documents. That is the beauty of System Restore. 

An HP Recovery disc set  or media (depending on the desktop/notebook)   is your copy of the operating system and bundled software. I am not personally in the habit of tossing legal copies of current Windows operating systems in the trash bin.  Having access to the HP Recovery Manger on the Recovery partition is like having a panic button. If you repartition your hard disk you will lose access to it.  F11 will no longer work as a hotkey to invoke it. The following video explains in detail what HP Recovery is.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation