Window 8 and Windows 8.1 Upgrade Information and Windows 8 Tips (24612 Views)
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 1 of 23 (24,612 Views)

Window 8 and Windows 8.1 Upgrade Information and Windows 8 Tips

[ Edited ]

Need a tip on "how-to" do something in Windows 8 then the below links might provide the information that you need.

Microsoft Windows 8 upgrade assistant and FAQs.

HP Windows 8 Upgrade - Important Information Before You Upgrade.

HP Windows 7 to Windows 8 conversion information for Notebooks.

Test my HP PC for Windows 8 Compatibility.

Windows 8 – Tutorial Index and Windows 8 Tips

Windows 8 Apps more Windows 8 Apps

Windows 8 System Requirements

Additionally, if you Google "Windows 8 tips", you will find many excellent articles posted on the internet.

Windows 8.1 upgrade suggestions:

There are some important steps to take prior to doing the upgrade.  Review this MS posted document. Be sure to run the upgrade assistant.

1. Be sure that Windows 8 has all of the latest MS updates installed. There are prerequisite patches that are required.
  2. Be sure that you have at least 40 GB of hard disk free space.
  3. Back up your data to external media.
  4. Make a Windows 8 recovery media to external media before doing the upgrade.  I prefer to use a third party hard drive imaging program.
  5. Temporarily disable the antivirus software.
  6. You will need to reinstall your programs after the upgrade so make note of which ones are required.
  7. Check the HP Support site for Window 8.1 updates for your particular PC.  If you don't see any updates then your PC has not been tested/certified with Windows 8.1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
Larry_IDC
Message 2 of 23 (23,402 Views)

Re: Window 8 Upgrade Information and Windows 8 Tips

I've been running 64-bit Windows 8 Consumer Preview very nicely for several months and want to upgrade to 64-bit Windows Pro on my Pavilion a1440n. When I've tried to install from within the OS I get weird messages indicating that it can't be installed on a USB Flash drive (which I'm not trying to do). When I tried doing a clean install I got an odd message saying that certain installer files were missing and it would not complete. I called Microsoft customer support and the agent there thought my cpu would work because it wouldn't support Hyper-V, even though I understand that it optional. From running coreinfo.exe I can see that I have the PAE, NX, and SSE2 on the cpu enabled as meets requirements.

When I ran through th HP site I saw that this machine has not been tested. Is there any way of getting confirmation that Windows 8 Pro 64-bit will or won't run on my machine? The HP Product code for it is ER904AA#ABA.

Thanks!

Student
JamesH70
Message 3 of 23 (22,748 Views)

I haven't yet created my recovery discs, but I HAVE upgraded the machine from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Can I create  Windows 8 recovery discs or will it be looking for Windows 7 information if I need to restore my system?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 23 (22,739 Views)

Hi James70,

Order a set of the HP Recovery Disks so that you can revert to Windows 7 if needed.

Windows 8 does have a recovery function that can be used.  At the "metro" screen type recovery.  You'll need an external USB drive and the size may vary. 

You can also type in recovery at the "metro" and then click on settings then Windows 7 file recovery.  You can use the Windows 7 hard drive imaging function to create a bootable CD and to image the hard drive to external storage.

Your best option is to use a third party hard drive imaging tool that comes with a bootable CD.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
AnandhRama
Message 5 of 23 (20,774 Views)

replied
Honor Student
tamica2941
Message 6 of 23 (20,493 Views)

i was trying to upgrade my hp pavillion slimline from windows home premium to windows 8 pro. it continues to give an error message of, windows security essentials is not compatible with windows 8 and to manually uninstall. i thought this was completed but i have had to restart the install several times but with no success. can someone help if possible. thanks

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 7 of 23 (20,481 Views)

What is the full model or product number of the desktop you are upgrading?  I take it you are upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.  Is that correct?

Are you getting the same warning about the Microsoft Security Essentials each time?  If so, it sounds like it isn't uninstalling properly.  Try using the FixIt found here to review the list of programs it detects.  If it detects Microsoft Security Essentials, use the FixIt to uninstall it.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
tamica2941
Message 8 of 23 (20,473 Views)

hello,

this is a hp pavillion slimline s5610y. yes this is a upgrade from windows 7.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 9 of 23 (20,455 Views)

What happened when using the Microsoft FixIt to verify that MSE is uninstalled?  Sometimes, programs will show as uninstalled but it wasn't quite fully uninstalled.  If that is what happened, the FixIt should show it as an installed program and give the option to uninstall it.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
Gauti07
Message 10 of 23 (20,121 Views)

How are you trying to upgrade ?

I work for HP, please click the kudos star on left side to say thanks.
If it works reply back saying as a solution so that it helps others.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation