Question

Top Student
jeffcarp
Message 1 of 13 (5,519 Views)

Windows 7 64-bit kills Lite-On (RALink) wireless card that worked in Vista 64-bit

I have a stock Pavilion a6720f desktop with Vista 64-bit.  It come with the Lite-On (RALink chipset) PCI wireless card.  It worked fine in Vista 64-bit.  I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit.  The compatibility wizard showed no issues.

After upgrading the wireless would not work at all.  Not only wouldn't it connect to the network, but it wouldn't see my router at all, and trying to click on any setting related to networking would cause the entire system to be totally unstable.  I'd have to restart or shutdown and the restart or shutdown would take at least 5 minutes to execute, usually crashing explorer in the process.

I booted into safe mode and totally uninstalled the drivers.  I then let Windows 7 start up and let it find the driver.  This time, since it didn't find the original driver (I uninstalled it), it installed a Microsoft driver for it with an April 2009 date.  The system was completely stable at that point.  This allowed me to see the wireless router, but would not let me connect to it.  Though my router is set to WPA-2, Windows would report the connection as WEP.  I would enter the WPA security code and Windows would tell me that it was not correct.  I would get an error that said that the network settings on the computer for this network does not match the settings for the network?

After much reading online in various forums, I am finding that there are lots of people reporting problems with Lite-On (RALink chipsets) in Windows 7.  (How long have companies known that Windows 7 was coming?)  RALink had drivers available on their website, so I tried them.

They installed fine and now upon reboot, I see the wireless network and can connect fine.  But suddenly, after a random amount of time, the connect will no longer be available.  It no longer sees my wireless router.  The router is fine, as I have 3 other PC's (2 of which are also Windows 7) that sees the router just fine.  I have to reboot.  Upon reboot, I will again have a connection, but only for a few minutes.

Is this a known issue and when can we expect drivers that work?

Honor Student
wiseguy0
Message 2 of 13 (5,210 Views)

Re: Windows 7 64-bit kills Lite-On (RALink) wireless card that worked in Vista 64-bit

I have the exact same problem with Slimline s3620f.  Please update me if you find a solution.  HP support was as useless as ever, and Ralink never responded to my email. Thanks.
Teacher
Dartan
Message 3 of 13 (5,208 Views)

Re: Windows 7 64-bit kills Lite-On (RALink) wireless card that worked in Vista 64-bit

1. What type of security are you guys running on your routers?

2. Try uninstalling the driver completely (go to Device Manager and uninstall the driver and be sure to click on the box that says delete driver), then restarta nd run Windows Update and get the driver from there.  If the driver isn't there, use the one from HP Update or Ralink.

Signature:
I work for HP.

Please click on Kudos as Thanks :smileyhappy:
Please solve the thread once you are done so other members of the forums know where to look for solutions.
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 4 of 13 (5,211 Views)

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware on you router?

Have you gone to Windows Update to install the latest driver for your WLAN recently?

windowsupdate.microsoft.com (Check for updates, opt in on all recommended and optional available driver updates)

Honor Student
wiseguy0
Message 5 of 13 (5,211 Views)

Using Microsoft Security Essentials. I have used the driver from Ralink and the windows update version with the same result.  The HP original driver will not install because it detects that the operating system is not Windows Vista so it just says "doesn't meet requirements" or something and allows you to exit. Thanks for any info.
Honor Student
wiseguy0
Message 6 of 13 (5,208 Views)

[ Edited ]
Yes, everything is up to date..
Message Edited by wiseguy0 on 11-18-2009 10:35 AM
Top Student
julesdc
Message 7 of 13 (5,139 Views)

I have same problem with Pavilion Slimline s3720f.  Will be watching thread,but I don't think the HP driver exists in 64 bit.  Currently OS is using Microsoft's version.  In another thread, was pointed to HP 32-bit drivers, which did not work.  

Updating the WLAN adapter fails.  I'll try updating the firmware on the router, but I think this is a Microsoft/HP issue.  I would just buy another wireless adapter, USB or PCI if I could find evidence that (a) it is working in the wild on 64 bit, and (b) if PCI would fit into that tiny chassis with antennas.

Student
ghmpwm
Message 8 of 13 (4,782 Views)

I have same problem with Pavilion Slimline s3720f.  Will be watching thread,but I don't think the HP driver exists in 64 bit.  Currently OS is using Microsoft's version.  In another thread, was pointed to HP 32-bit drivers, which did not work.  Guess I'll bookmark this link and keep checking, if I find a new driver I'll post where in this forum  

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 9 of 13 (4,749 Views)

Top Student
jeffcarp
Message 10 of 13 (4,743 Views)

This appears to only support Intel processors.  I have AMD and it tells me it isn't compatible with my computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation