Question

Top Student
JC1979
Message 1 of 19 (11,394 Views)

Windows 7 64bit missing MSVCR80.dll

Hoping someone can help me fix this persistent problem with my HP6714Y desktop. I keep getting a 'missing MSVCR80.dll' error message. From what I've read, this has to do with Visual C++ and/or the .NET Framework file system of Windows. These areas are foreign to me and I don't want to tinker with them and make things worse. I believe this problem goes back to a failed update from Itunes. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all of my Apple programs from scratch, but it persists. I've done all the Windows updates as well, nothing I try helps. I've done a full anti-virus scan and no problems were found. I'm at a loss. I tried to go back to an earlier restore point prior to the Itunes update, but my system doesn't show any, unless I want to go back to 2011. Is there a way to do a reinstall of Windows from the HP software? My system came with the recovery manager, but that only covers drivers and and other files, not the OS. I have a recovery partition on my C drive, but I haven't figured out how to fully use it to reinstall Windows. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 19 (11,385 Views)

Re: Windows 7 64bit missing MSVCR80.dll

The recovery manager is capable of reinstalling the operating system. That is its primary funtion.

What are you using for an Anti-Virus solution?

When are you seeing the error message?

Did this happen after  an event such as installing new software/hardware or after Microsoft or HP updates?

Best regards,
erico

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
JC1979
Message 3 of 19 (11,377 Views)

I am using AVG Free Edition 2013, which I have been using for some time now. I get the error messages after trying to update Itunes and/or Quicktime, and also upon startup. I receive the error referring to MSVCR80.dll as being missing when several programs try to open at startup. This makes me think it is an OS related problem, and not one specific to any particular program. I see the error on executable files such as "TomTomHome.exe", "hpqtra08.exe", "ReminderAPP.exe", plus the Itunes installer. I suspect there was a short power outage as my system was attempting an update a couple of weeks ago. Ever since then, Itunes and several other programs, including the HP help and seup manager programs won't work. I've been avoiding doing a full recovery, but Windows usually wins in cases like this. I haven't seen the error message after Windows updates, but it does try to update the exact same ones, so something is not correct within the OS. My update history shows several successful installs as I've included here, they have repeated and were installed 5 times over the past few days

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2600217)

Installation date: ‎5/‎28/‎2013 3:06 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Recommended

This update addresses stability, reliability, and performance issues in Microsoft .NET Framework 4. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=232526

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351)

Installation date: ‎5/‎28/‎2013 3:11 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237373

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Thank you for responding, hopefully I can get past this, if not, I figured out how to do the recovery, just in case! Thanks again for your help!

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 19 (11,373 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hmmm. AVG Free 2013.  That is probably why you are getting the error message.  You might  consider running the online scanner at Eset to see if there is something working behind the scenes that shouldnt be there.

Best regards,
erico

Top Student
JC1979
Message 5 of 19 (11,336 Views)

Hello Erico:

I tried as you suggested and ran the eset scanner. It found only one problem and cleaned it, but it didn't look like it was related to the OS or a problem with my .dll file. It sounded like it was a minor spyware. I have also tried Windows startup repair that didn't do anything since I last responded. Windows keeps notifying me that updates are available, but they are the same 2 that have supposedly been successfully installed several times already. They are the ones I referenced in my other reply that have to do with the .NET Framework 4 update. Any further suggestions would be appreciated! Fortunately Explorer and Chrome aren't affected yet, but it's probably a matter of time before they quit too! Thanks again!

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 19 (11,332 Views)

One thing you can do is use Windows  built-in system file checker at the command line. it will inspect and replace any corrupt system files.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:
1. Click on START
2. Type "cmd" (without quotes). Right click the command prompt icon at the top of the START menu and select "Run as Administrator"

sfc2.PNG

sfc running.PNG

If there are no files with issues then you will see.

sfc complete.PNG

Best regards,
erico

Top Student
JC1979
Message 7 of 19 (11,321 Views)

Hey Erico:

I tried this 'scannow', which i did before as well, and it reported that there were corrupt files, but it was unable to fix some of them. I tried to find where the windir\logs are, but i couldn't figure out how to read them or open them. The 'cmd' box told me i didn't have access, even though i was logged in as an administrator. Tried to search and open them using windows, also access denied, even after adjusting security settings. Windows is a piece of crap, pardon my French! I've gone round and round with this type of problem before with other Windows OS's, and ultimately I give up and either buy a whole new system, or buy the upgrade for Windows and hope that fixes the problem. This computer isn't that old, and I refuse to upgrade to Windows 8. Thank you for trying to help me with this, it's looking pretty bleak, but i appreciate your help!

Top Student
LDThompson2013
Message 8 of 19 (11,253 Views)

[ Edited ]

Erico,

Been looking at replies like this and I am still not sure if any of this post (and others) suits my situation exactly . A couple of days ago I uninstalled a few unwanted game programs and then a couple of days later I  installed an updated Norton Antvirus program.

Since then, on every start up, on every account,  I have been getting a pop-up window telling me the following:

Run DLL

There was a problem starting =  C:\users\"My first name\AppData\local\pokki\engine\launch\Deskband.dll

This specific module cannot be found. (end of pop-up message)

My PC is a desktop HP Pavilion Slimline, mod#  s5503w

My OS is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

Many thanks in advance....

Top Student
LDThompson2013
Message 9 of 19 (11,244 Views)

OK,
After going over all the other info on this subject, I'm pretty sure now that this does indeed fit my situation, but being a novice PC
user, I'll wait for you to confirm it with a simple yes before I take any actions, if that's ok.
I have other issues that I will be posting in due time, that's if I can login ok. I've had to reset my password three times now just to come back and make this comment. (grrrrr....lol)
Anywho, I'll wait for you to confirm this.
Thanks again.
Student
porterbound
Message 10 of 19 (3,038 Views)

What I must do reinstall MSVCR80.dll?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation