Question

Top Student
tgb9
Message 1 of 7 (6,597 Views)

Windows 7 CD?

Just received my e9210t with pre-installed Windows 7 Home Premium.  I was wondering where the Windows 7 CD is.  The computer came with Microsoft Windows 2007 basic CD however, no Windows 7 CD.  How do I get my copy of Windows 7?  I want a copy in case my computer crashes and I need to re-install Windows 7.

Thanks.

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 7 (6,584 Views)

Re: Windows 7 CD?

On HP & Compaq consumer PCs, the OS media is not given seperately. It is all built into Recovery Parition. However, if you want it as a Media, you can create them on your own. The procedure of Creating Recovery kit is given in the following weblink:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867124&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

In case of system crash, you can use either the built in recovery parition or the created Recovery kit to restore the system back to factory condition. The product is given in detail in the following weblink:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867418&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

If you want to Order the recovery kit, visit the following weblink:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USE...

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Top Student
tgb9
Message 3 of 7 (6,542 Views)

Can I create a back up of Windows 7 on a Personal Media or Pocket Media drive?  Which type of drive is better?  If I can use either drive to create a Windows 7 backup, will it disable it for using the drive to also back up/store files?
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 4 of 7 (6,524 Views)

No, you would use your optical disk drives, e.g. DVD+R media, not the Pocket/Personal media drives.
Student
wlybrand
Message 5 of 7 (5,236 Views)

Why is the Windows 7 CD included? I ask because I am a little frustrated that is not. I know that I can create a Recovery Kit to reinstall the OS, but won't that include all of the pre-installed HP software that comes on the system?

If I want to wipe the computer clean and start with a fresh Windows 7 install, it would seem as though I am out of luck.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 7 (5,231 Views)

Hi: 

On your C:\ drive, there should be a folder named SWSETUP. In that folder should be the setup files for most of your installed programs and drivers. Unfortunately, they are all named SPxxxxx or something to that effect, and you will just have to launch each one of them to see what the program is, and cancel the installation. Youmay want to write down each SP# and label it for future reference.

Then you can copy this SWSETUP folder to a DVD drive, portable HDD or other backup storage device and you can reinstall drivers and software if you have to do a complete erasure and reload of just the OS.

Paul

Top Student
Melrick
Message 7 of 7 (5,162 Views)

LOG on to: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?cc=us&lc=en

1) Enter the Product Number of your system & Click Next

2) Click On Software & Driver Downloads

3) Select Operating System From The Drop Down Box & Click Next

4) Click On Recovery Media & from here you can order the Windows 7 disks online for your system.

5) You Would Only Have To Pay For Shipping & Material.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation