Question

Top Student
JonnoCT
Message 1 of 14 (2,491 Views)

Windows 7 Hangs on HP Pavilion s3750t

After installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a stock HP Pavilion Slimline s3750t my computer would completely freeze up or have other issues.  Hopefully this will save someone the aggravation I went through.

Symptoms:

1.  20 to 30 minutes after boot all USB devices stop working.  Wireless adapters and other USB powered devices will loose power regardless of the USB port they are plugged into (front or back).  Unplugging and reconnecting devices has no effect.  Once this occurs if you go to Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> USB Root Hub (the one attached to the PCI controller, on mine it's the last one in the list) and select the Advanced tab Microsoft Management Console will stop responding.  The problem will clear after a power reset (until it occurs again).

2.  Windows will completely stop functioning (freeze) either minutes or days after startup (the clock in the taskbar will stop updating).  A manual kernel panic (right cntrl-scroll lock - scroll lock) is not successful.

These symptoms occur if you do an upgrade from Vista 64-bit that came with the machine, a clean install using only the drivers which come with Windows 7, a clean install plus the latest (as of Nov 3 2009) drivers from the HP support website, or a clean install plus the drivers from nVidia themselves.

Workaround:

Disable the USB Root Hub associated with the PCI to USB Host Controller.  In device manager you will see two.  Disable the one that lists its location as "on Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" in its properties screen.  Once you do this you'll only be able to use the USB ports on the back of the machine (media/flash card reader also goes down) but at least your machine will stay up.

HP, any word on when a fix will be out for this? 

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 14 (2,475 Views)

Re: Windows 7 Hangs on HP Pavilion s3750t

You may want to try installing the newest Chipset drivers for Windows 7 directly from nVidia.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista_win7_64bit_15.49.html

Top Student
JonnoCT
Message 3 of 14 (2,471 Views)

I was thinking the same thing.  :smileywink:  I tried a clean install with the drivers I picked from nVidia, then with the ones their "wizard" suggested.  Still no luck. 

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 4 of 14 (2,419 Views)

Did you try installing all the optional drivers available on Windows Update?

windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Top Student
edevine9
Message 5 of 14 (2,165 Views)

Identical problem with same system, os (w7), 64bit, updated from Vista 64 bit.  Frustrating as hell and sure that others are experiencing the same problem.  I've done all updates.  I'll try going to Nvidia's site but not optimistic.  Another similar scenerio .... Walk away from computer (sleep settings are set) 1.  Monitor shuts off (sleep mode) CPU (SLIMLINE S3750T) appears to go to sleep (orange light), when I move the mouse to awaken the system, monitor does not recognize the system has awaken from sleep (even though blue light is on box), monitor shows a status box "no signal" "going to sleep".  EVEN THOUGH THE CPU IS RUNNING.  Never had this problem before (vista) and it is obvious that it is because WINDOWS 7 update (home premium).  Other thing, the stock wireless card that came with the system does not work, (again all updates are there).  It connects to my wireless network for apx: 5 min, until I attempt to go online, at which point I lose connectivity, I then go to wireless status icon (lower right corner) and the wireless network status icon "hangs" indefinitly, any attempt to go to "network settings/control panel" causes that window (network settings) to hang, any and I do mean any attempt to scan/the wireless connection (control panel, device manager, etc) causes that window to hang, forcing the need for a hard shut down.  This is bull, I was only successful in getting internet access because I landwire (ethernet cable) the connection.  It (connectivity) works but wireless card is inaccessible.  ABSOLUTELY FRUSTRATING!!!!! I believe the two problems are related (usb, graphics card/monitor, wireless card). 

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 6 of 14 (2,157 Views)

Top Student
edevine9
Message 7 of 14 (2,058 Views)

FINALLY yes the link suggested worked!!!!  No more usb issues and my wireless is back on (I'm leaving it connected by ethernet cable anyway).

BUT A NEW PROBLEM.

Yes I know it's unbelievable but it's happened.  Now system boots beautifully.  However after a few minutes WMC starts acting up.  Specifically the picture starts to stutter, the frames do (in wmc) and it's kind of jerk movements.  I close out of WMC and boom my whole system is acting jerky??? not the sound or performance but only what's on the screen.  I.e.  I open internet explorer the window opens but by skiping frames to the eventual window.  It's hard to explain but it's like watching a movie where every other 2 frames have been deleted, does that make sense?   I've updated the Nvidia graphics card that came stock with my system, they had an update on 11.26.09.  Didn't fix the problem.  I know it gots to be something with this graphics card, I have to say I'm totally disappointed in the manner that HP did not test(7) on this computer, where it's just been one problem after another. 

rant need not read:  why the eff do I spend money on a os that in a month I've had to do more trouble shooting than any other system I've ever had.  I use my computer as an home media center, and I love the OS and wmc, I have a small apt in nyc so it works perfect for the enviro in my apt.  I have a netbook and laptop all networked I love technology but this madness about haveing a issue every other week is really testing my patience.!!!!!!!!

Thank you PC_tester for the previous tip, great work!!!

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 8 of 14 (2,045 Views)

If you're using onboard graphics then try closing HP Advisor dock to see if that helps

Close all other open applications before launching Media Center to see if it helps.

Top Student
edevine9
Message 9 of 14 (2,008 Views)

I don't see HP advisor running (desktop) and I closed all HP programs/processes that were running (through task manager).  So I've done an experiment to attempt to duplicate the problem.

I have no HP programs running (advisor, sch, mediasmart etc).  No other applications open other than an internet explorer window that I'm using to write this message.  I opened windows media center (win7 home premium) and waited, aprox 9 minutes later, the lag and "stuttering" starts to occur on the screen only.  The sound/audio is not skipping and is normal.  So obviously it seems ot be a problem with the graphics card.  So I update the card with (11/29) update.

Doesn't change anything.

I restart in safe mode.  and through device manager update the driver for the card.  it updates it (even though I've already downloaded and installed the  the new update already.  I try to boot wmc and a pop up says that can not run as card only has less than 64 meg? My card is a gfore with 256mb .

Frustrating to have to deal with this to say the least. 

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 10 of 14 (2,005 Views)

If you think it's the driver, then you wait around for a newer driver to be posted by NVIDIA or the system manufacturer.

In the meantime, you can try the Microsoft driver to see if it fairs any better.

1. Disconnect the LAN

2. Go to Start, Control Panel, Device Manager Display Adapters, right mouse click the graphics device and select Uninstall and opt to "Delete the driver software for this device" and allow the system to reboot

3. After booting back into Windows, repeat step 2 until the graphics driver says "NVIDIA.... (Microsoft WDDM 1.x)

4. Then test it. If it works fine, then you can use that driver temporarily

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation