Question

Top Student
Jarrett
Message 1 of 13 (3,662 Views)

Windows 7 Restart Problem

Hey everyone. I have been having a simple, but very annoying problem with my computer. I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my computer, and everything went great except when I restart my computer it shuts down fine, and then starts up fine, but then after it shows the HP manufacture screen my computer freezes right before showing the windows 7 startup screen. (Right before the login screen) It is hard to figure out a solution on google because everyone has computer freezing issues, but I did find two other posts on the web that said they had the same problem as well, but still did not find the solution. This isnt that much of a problem because I can do a force shutdown by holding the button down on my tower and then hitting it againt o start it back up and suprisingly it works fine. I have no other problems with my computer besides that. I have also tried installing windows 7 again, but it did not fix the problem. I also installed it on another computer around the same time I did mine and that computer is not having the same problem. This has been going on for almost 2 weeks now, and to be honest, it is getting EXTREMELY annoying... If anyone knows a solution or at least may have an idea please let me know in the coments I would love to try anything. Thank you.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 13 (3,616 Views)

Re: Windows 7 Restart Problem

Hi,

Tap away at f10 as soon as you start your notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tabs you should see the facility to run tests on the Hard Drive and Memory.  Run both these tests and post back with the results.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Jarrett
Message 3 of 13 (3,590 Views)

Hello. Thanks for replying I did not even think anyone would even take a look at my post. Well I did what you said, and ran both tests. Both of them passed 100% with no errors or anything, and I still have my problem. This is very frustrating...:smileysad:

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 13 (3,588 Views)

Hi,

Can you post back with the full Model No. or Part No. of your PC.

Could you also let me know if your current installation of Windows 7 was from an upgrade or a fresh install from a Retail disc.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Jarrett
Message 5 of 13 (3,584 Views)

Alright I am not 100% if this is what you were looking for, but the system model is an HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF PC. Also it was just an upgrade I had windows xp before but I like windows 7 a little bit more so I thought I would do an upgrade like I did with my last pc. (Used same disc and other PC does not have this problem)

Top Student
Jarrett
Message 6 of 13 (3,564 Views)

Anyone had this problem before or know what to do?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 7 of 13 (3,562 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Have you tried the Windows 7 Ugrade Advisor, on the link below, to see if this identifies anything that may be causing this issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Jarrett
Message 8 of 13 (3,546 Views)

I downloaded the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and everytime I hit "Start Check" nothing happened. I even left it on overnight when I went to sleep to see if anything would happen and it didnt... Maybe it wasnt working because I am already on windows 7? I do not really know. 

Top Student
Jarrett
Message 9 of 13 (3,515 Views)

Looks like my problem wont be fixed anytime soon...

Top Student
Jarrett
Message 10 of 13 (3,504 Views)

Bump...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation