Question

Top Student
gumarti2
Message 1 of 18 (32,814 Views)

Windows 7 and Stereo Mix.

I have HP Pavilion model: p6240br, product ID: NY581AA#AC4 that comes with  Realtek ALC888S High Definition Audio codec 7.1  channels, and my operational system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits from factory, and I also have the latest windows update driver from Realtek that is version 6.0.1.5910 and date is 08/04/2009. I also uses Microsoft Life cam 1.4 VX 1000 with USB microphone inside, and Philips SHM3300 analog headset with pink and green plugs.When you right click on the grey speaker icon and go in recording devices, if the two options is checked "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" you found the stereo mix. The stereo mix makes a joining of the system sound and the microphone sound. For example, when the stereo mix is enabled and you open your favorite music player and play a song, you can speak in the microphone and your voice will be mixed with the music in the headset or in the speakers.

When I plug in the headset at the front of the computer, the music in stereo mix stops to work. If I plug out the headset of the front of the computer, the music at the stereo mix comes back to work.

My 1th question is, why does stereo mix does not work when i plug in the front headset if at windows vista and windows xp it does?

2nd Question, is that a bug? There is any solution to make stereo mix works with headset?

Thank you very much!

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 18 (32,888 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and Stereo Mix.

Step1:
1.Open sound volume mix by right clicking on the speaker Icon in the Taskbar.
2.Go to recording Tab, set stereo Mix has default.
3.connect the Microphone in the front microphone jack.
4.Ensure the that the stereo Mix remain default.
5.if having additional audio configuration setup like IDT make sure that the same setting are there has in step 2 and 3.

Step2:

If the issue still persists reinstall the Audio driver
Download the original driver
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL29911/pv-74437-2/sp43118.exe

Download and install the audio driver update
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL31164/pv-77269-1/sp44379.exe

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Top Student
gumarti2
Message 3 of 18 (32,870 Views)

Hello, Thanks for the assitance!!!

I have make an other Windows 7 Ultimate evaluation copy instalation just for a test, the same problem perecisit, i tryed to update the driver from windows update and i have also tryed driver update from hp support site, exataly those what you have recomended. unfortunately did not worked yet.

The stereo mix is seted as default, and when I plug in the frontal headset it stays as default but just don't work.

Beside all devices at record devices window have a green level bar, if at the playback tab the speakers are seted as default the stereo mix green level bar moves up and down, and the stereo mix works fine but if at the payback tab the headphones is seted as default the stereo mix green level bar stops to move, and does not work any more.

I am sure that on Windows Vista 32 bits and Windows XP 32 bits it works together with the headset, only Windows 7 does not work.

Waiting for any sugestion.

Thanks very much.

Dean
Vidya
Message 4 of 18 (32,854 Views)

In the lab also I tested had a similar issue, when i set the Head phones is set has default the level bar moves, but when i unplug the headsets the level bar on the headphones keeps moving but none in the external speakers.

All these issues only occored when the music is playing continully and I am making changes. Once the music is stopped and i change the setting every thing is fine.

Could you try this workaround...

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Top Student
gumarti2
Message 5 of 18 (32,829 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Vidya, I think you found exataly my problem, I also think that it should not be hapenning, because other system like vista and xp it works in this way, it should be working on seven too. Some times i migth this mystery is a driver problem!

I am trying to mix up my voice from frontal headphone and my music from windows media player. So, when the media player is playing some musics and the stereo mix is seted as default on the recording devices tab and in the playback tab the speakers is set as default, everything works fine and the level bar of stereo mix stays moving, but if I just plug in the headphones at the front of the computer, imediataly the stero mix level bar stops to move, this time, only my voice from headset microphone is able to work but the music stops to come truogth the stereo mix.

It is realy a mystery, and I just don't know what else more could be done and witch test should I try.

Did you have any good test that i should try? Do you agree with me that may be a driver problem? Does migth have any othe driver that i could use? Do you mind that Realtek could help us?

Thanks a lot, 

Message Edited by gumarti2 on 12-01-2009 12:54 PM
Top Student
gumarti2
Message 6 of 18 (32,690 Views)

Please, I would like an expert answare.

I have made new tests, i installed windows xp home 32bits and it has worked fine with frontal panel for headphones but with windows 7 stereo mix does not work with frontal panel for headphones.

Please do not forget my post.

Thank You.

Honor Student
uw00001
Message 7 of 18 (32,609 Views)

Hi!

If your main purpose is to listen to your recording via headphones to avoide waking up the neighbours for example, then may be the following can help,

but if you whish on top of it  to mix it with other audio elements then sorry......

How do I setup MY recording systen (on Toshiba sattelite M50) and how I record WITHOUT microphone and WITHOUT Stereo Mix (or Mono Mix) options.

The idea is to connect via pin to pin (mail to mail) audio wire the computer speaker jack with the microphone jack.

This by itself will do already the recording..

However u want to listen and tuneup your recording:

for that u need in addition to the shortest possible PIN TO PIN audio wire, an audio connector with 2 headphone jacks.

1) Set the Microphone option as a default:  for recording and as MUTE for palyback.

2) Plag the connector into the computer speakers jack.

3)  Plag one end of the  pin to pin audio wire into one of the jacks of the connector and the other end to the microphone jack. of the computer.

4) Plag your headphones to the other jack of the connector.

5) Tune up the volume of recording

6) Good luck.

Top Student
gumarti2
Message 8 of 18 (32,491 Views)

Thanks Visitor, but it is not exataly what i need, i need to stream audio mixing voice and music over the internet using the headphones. but is is not possible with windows 7 64 bits and my sound card.

new tests, installed windows vista ultimate 32 bits all is working perfectely.

still waiting an windows 7 expert, any expert have helped me yet :smileymad:

thanks very much.

Honor Student
grammjr
Message 9 of 18 (32,000 Views)

I have a HP m8417c and am running Win 7 64 and have the exact same thing. I know what you are talking about.

If I plug in the headset speaker plug into the front headset speaker jack the "stereo mixer" quits receiving input, the bars stop moving. When I unplug the headset speaker plug it starts receiving input and the bar starts moving. It should not be this way. I hope they fix the problem. I expect and need tot mixer to receive and output all the time, isn't that what a mixer is for?

Anyway I guess we can hope.

Top Student
gumarti2
Message 10 of 18 (30,869 Views)

Hi Grammjr,

I have to inform you that after 35 days without my computer becouse HP have asked to have it on his factory laboratory, and they have responded me simply that it is a Windows 7 limitation and that it is the last word of HP. They have gave me back the computer with no changes, and stereo mix still does not work with frontal headphones.

I am not satisfied with the response I received, so, here's my report dissatisfaction with the HP and how I do not know who to turn to write on this forum and hope some expert here can solve this problem.

Thanks very much.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation