Windows 7 not genuine (1405 Views)
Student
Gorbenshore
Message 1 of 3 (1,405 Views)

Windows 7 not genuine

Good evening. I bought a new HP desktop from Hhgregg about a year ago. A couple of months in I got a message, located on the lower right of my desktop wallpaper, saying: Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of windows is not genuine

In addition, my computer was having a host of other problems so I talked to HP support (talked so long I might as well connected to my cousin in the Philippines!) and ended up having to back up my files in order to completely restart my computer because of regestry problems (sorry for the incompetance; not too good with computer jargon). My computer was back to normal but now it is saying, again, that my copy of Windows 7 is not genuine. Can anyone give me a solution? What will happen if I just ignore it? Hhgregg never gave me a copy of the Windows 7 (64-bit) installation disc either. Answers appreciated, thanks!

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 3 (1,389 Views)

Re: Windows 7 not genuine

[ Edited ]

If your HP installed Windows is showing "non-genuine", it is likely that some Windows files have been tempered with or corrupted, the computer's BIOS has been tempered with or corrupted, or a system partition has been modified or removed. All big name computer makers use a special "OEM" product key, a special "OEM" certicificate, and a portion of the BIOS referred to as "DMI", to pre-activate your computer. The key on the COA sticker isn't meant to be used for activation.

If you ignore the "Windows is not genuine" warning, nothing troubling will happen. You have about 30 days before it goes into "reduced functionality" mode. Typically, you will get various nag screens, a black desktop, and the inability to receive many Windows updates.

HP and almost all other computer manufacturers, and retailers do not include a copy of any Window installation disc with the computer. Instead, you are required to use an included program to create a set of "Recovery Discs" that includes the installed OS as well as most other installed software and drivers. Please run the "HP Recovery Manager" or the like, at this time to create your set of "HP Recovery Discs".

Please recovery your computer again and immediately check to see if Windows is activated and genuine or not. If it is not, it is likely that the BIOS is corrupt. If it is, something you are doing or installing is causing the problem. Please post back with details after reinstalling the OS. Also, providing the model name and/or product number of the HP computer in question will aid us in assisting you with your issue.

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 3 (1,385 Views)

Re: Windows 7 not genuine

[ Edited ]

Find your MS COA label attached to side or back of PC. It has your Windows 7 product key(license). Try the product key with the Change Product Key link at the bottom of the System Properties page.

If you need help finding System Properties page, go to Control Panel.At top right change "View by" from category to 'Small icons'. Now you will see 'System' icon.Click to open Ssytem properties page.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation