Windows 8.1 RTM (build 9600): SecureBoot isn't configured correctly (29192 Views)
Tutor
BenR_22
Message 1 of 113 (29,192 Views)

Windows 8.1 RTM (build 9600): SecureBoot isn't configured correctly

Hello,

I've got an HPE H8-1360t, and I've installed Windows 8.1 Pro RTM (build 9600) which was just released to MSDN subscribers (me). This was an upgrade to Windows 8. Now, I get a watermark on my desktop that states "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly." I restarted my machine to check the bios for a setting called "SecureBoot" but I couldn't find anything.

I ran this in Powershell to try to gather additional info:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> confirm-securebootuefi
False

From what I found, several other users are getting something similar and apparently, the solution may be :

"the issue could be caused by the Secure Boot Keys used in your computer. The Key Management option that you have in your BIOS/UEFI should let you change or install the Secure Boot keys. Please pardon my repetition of information here. Could you check once with your computer manufacturer about how to install the default secure boot keys?"

From this thread:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-performance/secureboot-isnt-configure...

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I realie that MS just released this yesterday so it's very possible that HP might need additional time to sort this out, but I wanted to ask.

Thanks!

-Ben

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 113 (29,149 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 RTM (build 9600): SecureBoot isn't configured correctly

[ Edited ]

Well... I'm not sure I can chat too much on a build that is not released to the general public. But HP will certainly test new products released, and if this is a bug that shows in testing then HP will communicate it to MS. Thanks for letting us know.
I need to ask, of course, did generating new keys fix it?

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Tutor
BenR_22
Message 3 of 113 (29,144 Views)

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

>I need to ask, of course, did generating new keys fix it?

I wish I knew. I haven't tried anything yet which is a large part of why I was posting here. If you had any information on how I can generate new UEFI keys, I'd give it a shot.

Thanks...

-Ben

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 4 of 113 (29,138 Views)

Sure...

Shut down the PC by holding down the shift key when selecting Shut down. Wait a few seconds. Turn on the computer and press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup utility.

Arrow key over to security, then down to Secure boot configuration and press Enter.

Use the up and down arrow keys to select Secure Boot Configuration , and then press Enter.

Press F10 to continue past the warning screen.

Select Clear Secure Boot Keys to Clear

Press F10 to save and then restart. Upon boot you should see a new screen asking you to type in the new set of keys.

Wha-lah.

Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Tutor
BenR_22
Message 5 of 113 (29,133 Views)

It's funny, I was looking in the BIOS earlier and I figured it made sense that the option would be there, and I was surprised that I would have missed that. But, when I reboot, go there and look at the security menu, it looks exactly like this screenshot you used:

with one significant difference: the last menu item (Secure Boot Configuration) is missing. I was looking also at BIOS updates for the H8-1360t but one thing I installed talked about installing something on a partition, and without being confident I didn't want to blindly make the change. Any idea why that menu item might be missing?

Thanks...

-Ben

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 6 of 113 (29,129 Views)

Well... according to what I see your PC uses the formosa motherboard:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03132942&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

Which has these BIOS Settings:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03376207&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5261651&tmp...

Which shows secure boot config on the menu. Hmmm. I Looked around and could not find a BIOS update for Formosa. I looked at some stuff internal to HP and I'm not sure the support document is correct. I don't think this BIOS has Secure Boot option, which would explain the message.

Tutor
BenR_22
Message 7 of 113 (29,119 Views)

Thanks for checking anyway. I wonder if others will hit this as well. I guess I'll just have to wait for a BIOS update (or some other type of update). The good news is that the system is still fully functional.

-Ben

Honor Student
meadormatt
Message 8 of 113 (27,053 Views)

I also have a HP 1360T with a Formosa motherboard.  When I upgraded to Windows 8.1 I also received the build 9600 watermark.  Any idea where we can get a BIOS update or a way to disable the option in Windows?

Honor Student
Tkavil
Message 9 of 113 (23,524 Views)

Ok, WIndows 8.1 has now been released to the public and I am getting the exact same watermark as you on my HP Envy 15-j078ca laptop. Do you think HP would release their own patch or fix on their website, can I just ignore it for the time being?

Top Student
bing0
Message 10 of 113 (23,220 Views)

also installed 8.1, and after a few reboots i have this watermark too

HP ENVY Ultrabook 4-1100sb

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation