Question

Tutor
chuckc3
Message 1 of 3 (2,051 Views)

Windows 8.1 Takes a Long Time to Boot

I have had a problem which I solved myself that I want to post here for the benefit of others who may have the same problem.  I have an HP Envy Phoenix H9-1350 desktop system with 12GB or RAM, 2TB hard drive and a 16GB caching SSD drive.

After I upgraded to Windows 8.1, it was taking a little over 5 minutes for my system to boot and I went through everything I could think of to try to improve it without much success.  I then spent about an hour and a half on the phone with HP Tech Support and that wasn't much help.  The person I talked to simply disabled some of my applications from starting up and dropped the boot time to down around 3 minutes and, for that reason, he concluded that my problem was I have too many applications starting up.  That didn't seem to be a good answer to me...I was convinced my system was heavily I/O bound and the disk was working extremely hard doing something when it was trying to boot.

I did some further research on my own and made some progress on this...one thing I found was that the hibernation file and paging file were limiting the amount of defragmentation that could be done to the disk.  I temporarily turned off hibernation and paging and deleted those files and defragmented once again and found it made a big difference.  After I turned on hibernation and paging once again with the disc completely defragmented, the boot time dropped from 5 minutes down to 3 minutes.

However, the really big improvement came when I removed the 16GB caching SSD from the system and booted directly off the hard drive - the time to boot dropped from 3 minutes down to around 20 seconds!  I don't know why that should have such a big effect, but it did.  It's amazing that the hard drive actually performs so much better without the caching SSD.  I have now decided to get rid of the caching SSD altogether and replace the hard drive with a larger SSD.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 3 (2,039 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 Takes a Long Time to Boot

Hi:

I'm glad you were able to get your issue resolved.

You may want to take a look at this notebook article regarding how to set up ssd cacheing.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/676213-definitive-guide-clean-install-os-mssd-...

I'm not sure how the W8.1 upgrade works but it is possible that it messed up the settings.

Clearly it had some kind of adverse impact on the drive settings.

Tutor
chuckc3
Message 3 of 3 (1,998 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 Takes a Long Time to Boot

Thanks for your response.  I am beyond that point having totally dumped the 16GB SSD cache and just replacing it with a 500GB SSD "C" drive altogether...I think the costs of SSD's has come down to the point that it is more feasible to do that and there is less need for a caching SSD.

However, I think you're on the right track...I think there could very well have been something in Windows 8.1 that screwed up the caching.  I've seen a lot of other problems with Windows 8.1 so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case...I've got an ASUS laptop that won't upgrad to WIndows 8.1 because of driver incompatibilty issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation