Question

Honor Student
JL_Roberts
Message 1 of 3 (590 Views)

Windows 8.1 Update issues

On Thursday, I updated both my notebook PC and my HP Pavilion H8-1214 to Windows 8.1. I had upgraded the HP machine to Windows 8 a few weeks earlier without error. However, this time around I've had a few major issues in regards to both my mouse and keyboard. The keyboard is an HP branded wireless keyboard and the mouse is a wireless logitech. Both work fine on my notebook and the keyboard works pretty decent, (at times). The mouse on the other hand, is no longer recognized... period. As my machine isn't a touch device this is a real problem. I've already refreshed Windows, and that stopped the system from prompting me to Swipe, Tap, Pinch, the screen like it was a tablet, but my mouse still isn't working.

I've tried other ports. I've scanned the operating system via Command Prompt. I verified that all USB ports were enabled in BIOS, but at this point other than wiping my PC clean, and spending the money to get the recovery CD's as the machine won't even allow me to do that now, I don't know what else to do...

Any ideas? I've seen several issues similar to mine on other PC's than HP but those were with Intel operated machines not AMD...
Honor Student
sharathk
Message 2 of 3 (529 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 Update issues

Not to worry....I had a similar problem and got sorted out by the Microsoft help desk. You just have to disable the AMD Radeon graphics card and it will work fine. Unfortunately the HP help desk were not even aware of this and wanted me to Reset my PC by which I would have lost all data. Till a new patch is ready you will have to live without the Radeon graphic card....

Honor Student
JL_Roberts
Message 3 of 3 (497 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1 Update issues

Thanks for the input. Oddly enough no sooner had I posted this, I decided to double check my drivers one more time. I tried this during my first run through, but didn't find anything, but low and behold, my mouse driver had been corrupted. I deleted it, removed the USB adapter, and then plugged it back in. I'm now back in business.

Thanks again for responding! I'm certainly glad I didn't have to wipe the hard drive and start all over.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation