Question

Honor Student
Aaron4020
Message 1 of 7 (20,986 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows Defender Error code:0x800705b4

I'm trying to turn on Windows Defender on a brand new desktop running Windows 8. When I try to turn it on I get error: 0x800705b4, opertation timed out. What is wrong?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 7 (20,982 Views)

Re: Windows Defender Error code:0x800705b4

Do you happen to be using Microsoft Security essentials as well?

If so, Turn off Windows Defender. It is already a part of Microsoft Security Essentials.

Best regards,
erico

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Aaron4020
Message 3 of 7 (20,977 Views)

This is my first experience with Windows 8 but it is my understanding that Microsoft Security Essentials isn't used anymore? I can't find that MSE is on my computer but this is my first experience with Windows 8 so I could well be wrong.

Thanks,

Aaron

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 7 (20,976 Views)

Aaron,

I found this. 

The fix is for Vista -- I think it is probably useful for Windows 8; so much of Windows 7 was built on Vista and then Windows 8 was built on Windows 7.  The core of the OS is still "in there".

Windows Defender - Fix Unable to Turn On

It is a pretty easy procedure - just remember to run the "command prompt" window as "Administrator".

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Click the Kudos Star to say Thanks!

When it "works",

Click this Post "Accept as Solution" to make it easier for others to find a Solution.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
Aaron4020
Message 5 of 7 (20,967 Views)

Thanks Dragon-Fur, went through it and the last procedure finally fixed my problem. I'm trying to keep an open mind but not having a good start to the Windows 8 experience.

thanks again,

Aaron

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 6 of 7 (20,942 Views)

[ Edited ]

Aaron,

An open mind is the most important thing to have with any new project.  Learning a new Operating System can be challenging and I applaud your attitude.  This particular error is unusual -- you were not "lucky" to see it; perhaps it will be the worst of your trials and things will get better from here!

I want to share with you some of the better features in Windows 8 that I have discovered.  You might find something here that you can use -- at the least, you might find something new that you did not know about Windows 8:

Windows 8 Features – A Quick Tour

Click the Kudos Star! 

It is a great “Thank You” for the Author's efforts.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
Aaron4020
Message 7 of 7 (20,767 Views)

Well, that is a nice list of "features" but after over 2 weeks of getting virtually now work done with this garbage operating system I'm going back to my old Windows 7 machine for now. If Micorsoft can't make a better OS than this for the business user my next computer will be a Mac.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation