Question

Honor Student
drone
Message 1 of 3 (10,682 Views)

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 System Recovery Disk problems

This is probably a common problem but I am not sure what to do next except to call HP support.  Let me know if you have any other suggestions. 

My HP Pavilion notebook DV8000 "crashed".  I found out the primary disk was faulty by running the on-board disk diagnositics. I purchased a new disk and managed to install Windows XP and got the notebook working again.  Unfortunately all of the extra software & drivers that originally came with the notebook disappeared.  I ended up ordering a 2 CD System Recovery DVD set from HP by giving them the service tag on the notebook.    I spent several hours reinstalling the system using both System Recovery CDs.   The last thing the notebook was doing before it crashed was finalizing the software setup (this was well after it instructed me to removed any CDs).  At first I thought I did something wrong but after the same thing happened 3 times I realized that there must be something I have not considered.  I know the primary disk is OK because I ran the on-board diagnostics and it was fine.  The message is long but starts with

"A problem has been detced and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer .......  and ends with

*** STOP: 0X0000007B  (0XF9E53524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X0000000)"

Let me know if there is anything I can do before I start playing telephone tag with HP support

Top Student
dtraveller
Message 2 of 3 (10,303 Views)

Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 System Recovery Disk problems

Hello.  I had the exact same blue screen error during a recovery of dv6149us.  Before I started the recovery, I had disabled native SATA support in the BIOS because I thought it was causing problems with earlier attempts at recovery.  I rebooted, enable the native SATA support, and then the recovery process continued after that.

I hope you were able to find a solution for your problem.

Student
Espionage
Message 3 of 3 (8,563 Views)

Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 System Recovery Disk problems

Whew, you just saved me a lot of trouble. I ran into the same STOP error when trying to run recovery on my dv5237cl. It turned out that native SATA support was disabled for some reason. I enabled it and my system booted without a problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation