Question

Tutor
dougclan
Message 1 of 13 (601 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows XP corrupt - no discs

I have the HP A350N desktop running XP. It has given me reliable service for many years. Recently, the computer got a virus - the Sasser Worm - that ultimately forced me to do a light recovery of the C drive, using Windows Recovery on the partitioned D drive. I was able to back up all personal files, but ultimately decided to start fresh with the C drive and reformat it entirely. Windows Recovery itself no longer worked and of course I had no discs containing he my original XP and application files. Ultimately I reformatted the C drive using DOS commands and bought a full copy of XP to load..Now the computer doesn't work at all. When I try to load my new copy of XP, It begns to do so and then says, "Windows is checking hardware on system." The computer does so for a minute or two but then nothing happens. All of my peripherals were, such as scanner, printer, etc., were disconnected first. I'm pretty certain that the corrupted version of my original XP files that came with the PC remain on the partitioned D drive. How can I get the computer to recognize tha new verson of Windows XP?

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 13 (568 Views)

Re: Windows XP corrupt - no discs

This guide should help: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07144&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=...

If you formatted only the C partition, then your Recovery partition is still there.  Use "recvovery during startup:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07145&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=...

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Tutor
dougclan
Message 3 of 13 (554 Views)

Yes, the D drive is still there. I can see the files through DOS. But Recovery simply won't run. I get an error message, and Recovery stops.  My new copy of Windows XP stalls when start to loading on the C drive. I can't be sure but I think It's because it's detects the files on the D drive. I'd like to remove the partition and erase the contents of the D drive, create one 160GB C drive, then try to load my Windows XP disc. Can that be done? The D drive is protected and the only commands I can give are through DOS.

Intern
TechR1
Message 4 of 13 (541 Views)

Try using this website to locate a set of recovery disks.

www.computersurgeons.com

While I am a HP employee, I am not an expert on all our products. When I offer advice, I'm not speaking for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 13 (536 Views)

The D drive is not protected when booting from an XP cd. It should show you the partitions and you can select each and delete them,then create 1 partition.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
dougclan
Message 6 of 13 (517 Views)

Windows XP corrupt on A350N PC; recovery doesn't work

Since I already purchased a new XP Professional software, is there anything I can do to get past the following message when I attempt to install the software at boot, "Windows is checking hardware on system." The computer does so for a minute or two but then nothing happens. All of my peripherals were, such as scanner, printer, etc., have been disconnected. I'm pretty certain that the corrupted version of my original XP files that came with the PC remain on the partitioned D drive. How can I get the computer to recognize tha new verson of Windows XP?

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 13 (506 Views)

Re: Windows XP corrupt on A350N PC; recovery doesn't work

[ Edited ]

Get  Partition Wizard  Bootable CD ISO and ImgBurn to burn the iso image to cd and try booting from it to delete partitions, create a new one and format it Fat32.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
dougclan
Message 8 of 13 (497 Views)

I have Nero on another computer. That will work to burn the iso image, right?

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 13 (494 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, Nero can burn iso's.It is the only other software I use besides ImgBurn for iso burning.ImgBurn is just very light weight and fast.

Tutor
dougclan
Message 10 of 13 (482 Views)

I'll give it  a shot and let you know. Thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation