Windows XP will not start except for in Safe mode (1932 Views)
Honor Student
Lazar
Message 1 of 7 (1,932 Views)

Windows XP will not start except for in Safe mode

Hi,

All of a sudden my Windows XP SP2 will not start: it is hanging with Windows logo and running bar.

In Safe mode I found the following in the Event Log:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Fips
intelppm
VET-FILT
VET-REC
VETEFILE
VETMONNT

I did not installed any new software recently. I did manage in Safe mode to restore the system to a previous point but it did not help. I do have anti-virus software (CA), but could figure out how to run it in Safe mode -it does not appear in the task bar. I did downloaded (it does start in Safe mode with Networking) and run Stinger- no viruses found.

Any ideas appreciated.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 7 (1,918 Views)

Re: Windows XP will not start except for in Safe mode

Your whole problem is you internet security program. Remove it a see what happens.

http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/vulninfo/Vuln.aspx?ID=34870

Honor Student
Lazar
Message 3 of 7 (1,915 Views)

dmhoo29,

dmhoo29 wrote:

Your whole problem is you internet security program. Remove it a see what happens.

http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/vulninfo/Vuln.aspx?ID=34870

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to remove it when I get home. However, in the link you included it is said CA would provide a fix in "new automatic update on December 13, 2006" . I first got my CA securty suite in 2008 and I keep it with auto updates, so I would think this issues should've been avoided in my version.

Lazar

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 4 of 7 (1,907 Views)

There is no guarantee in the software business.  If an application does not work well with your PC, then remove it and clean up the registry (best effort basis).  Try another application.  CA's stuffs are generally inferior to their competitors.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 5 of 7 (1,881 Views)

That was just for example. The errors your getting are related to CA.
Honor Student
Lazar
Message 6 of 7 (1,843 Views)

dmhoo29 wrote:
That was just for example. The errors your getting are related to CA.

I did a few things that finally fixed the problem. 

For the benefit of those who may have similar problems, here is what I've done.

Firstly I unchecked in Startup utility all programs related to CA security. It did not help. Then I disconnected a printer and all other external to PC devices- did not help either. So, I enabled back CA programs in Startup. Then, I opened Microsoft Recovery Console by F10 and tried to follow HP-recommended procedure. I tried to run fixmbr /device/harddisk0, but it did not recognize this command, next I run chkdsk /f  and answered Y to schedule a scan. Then I could not figure out how to exit command mode, so I just turned off PC with power button. When I turn it back on... surprise-surprise - Windows started. I did notice a note from CA that it updated successfully.

Probably chkdsk /f  was the solution, although I did not have time yet to connect back all external devices. Possibly turning CA off and on could do something too.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 7 of 7 (1,832 Views)

I would think turning CA off and on did the trick. It probably update the software after enabling it again.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation