Wireless adapter disappeared (3616 Views)
Honor Student
kiddo0215
Message 1 of 4 (3,616 Views)

Wireless adapter disappeared

OK.  Yesterday my wireless mouse and keyboard stopped responding.  So, I unhooked them and plugged in the wired mouse and keyboard.

Then, I tried to go online... and couldn't. 

My wireless adapter "disappeared".  I have tried system restore, and system recovery (not full recovery, just driver).  I know that my router is working fine- I spend an hour on the phone with Belkin, who told me it was my wireless adapter. 

I have an hp pavillion slimline s7700n.  The wireless adapter came with the computer.  I have had the computer for just about two years.  I have tried downloading a driver for the Lite-on Wireless adapter-- the driver wouldn't install.  HP tech support chat said that this driver would fix the problem...

My gut tells me that the actual adapter might have gone bad.  But, I thought i would give the discussion board a shot before I try and replace it.  I have had my computer open, and wiggled the wires, etc.  I have done all of the scans, restarting, etc that I know of. 

If anyone has any suggestions--please help!!!

Master's Graduate
Bill_Hicks
Message 2 of 4 (3,577 Views)

Re: Wireless adapter disappeared

Your mouse/keyboard and network issues are two different issues. The wireless adapter is different.

The mouse keyboard, could be a matter of batteries....here is a hp doc on troubleshooting wireless mice and keyboards:

To troubleshoot the wireless network adapter, do you know if the PC recognizes the adapter? Is there a wireless icon in the systray (bottom right corner by time)? If you go to Device Manager (click Start, right-click Computer, select Properties, click Device Manager), is the wireless network adapter listed?

Also, check this hp doc...it may help:
"A riot is the language of the unheard." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Honor Student
kiddo0215
Message 3 of 4 (3,569 Views)

No.  The computer does not acknowledge the adapter.  It does not appear in device manager, and when I click the icon I just get a message that states that there is no wireless network available.  I somehow then end up with an option to set up a wireless network.  The computer searches for the hardware and I get a message that states that the adapter can not be found...

Do wireless adapter just "go bad" and quit working??  It is just about two years old.

Thank you Bill_Hicks...
Master's Graduate
Bill_Hicks
Message 4 of 4 (3,568 Views)

It's possible for any hardware to go bad. But it sounds odd that it would quite working at the same time you were troubleshooting your wireless mouse. So I'm thinking there may be hope this isn't dead hardware.

Did you try opening the PC and changing the Wireless antenna connection as mentioned in the document I posted in my earlier reply?

Also, try disconnecting the adapter from the motherboard inside the PC and restarting the PC. Then shutdown, reconnect the adapter, and restart to see if the PC will plug and play the adapter.

Let us know how it goes.

"A riot is the language of the unheard." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation